Unable To Shut Down? RRS feed

• Question

• My WSH box has started hanging when I try to shut down.

From a Remote Desktop sesh, it gets to the "Windows Is Shutting Down" dialog and the connection terminates, but the the box never actually shuts down.

If I put a video card in it and hook up a monitor, it just stays on the blue screen (not The Blue Screen Of Death....) after the "Windows Is Shutting Down" dialog closes.

I've tried leaving it for a couple hours, but no luck.

I have to cut the power and then re-start - not a Good Thing IMHO.

Can anybody suggest a cause or an approach for zeroing in on the cause?

Saturday, July 3, 2010 12:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Pete,
    usually it is a driver blocking the shutdown process. I have seen shutdown taking a long time also (10 to 15 minutes) after the recent .NET Framework updates on our Windows 7 clients one time only, maybe those are causing a similar issue to your server.

(Just in this moment I wonder about a remote server 2003 machine, which does not come up again after installing these updates and selecting reboot since one hour - same issue?)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:57 AM
  • THREAD MOVED:

I do not know how to delete this thread, so will leave it with this final post.

Having been unable to find this thread some weeks ago, I started another thread "WHS Unable To Shut Down".

I acknowledge Olaf's suggestion there and then wonder about how to prove/disprove the hypothesis.

Monday, August 30, 2010 7:31 PM