WHS TV and Security Recording? RRS feed

• Question

• I will start by saying I don't know anything about WHS so I apologize if these are silly questions.  I use Windows Media Center extensively.  I have four tuners on my Home Theater PC and they work well with WMC.  I plan to build a Windows Home Server for file backup and media sharing on my home network and streaming when I am not home.

I want to be able to install a TV tuner or two in the WHS box and have TV shows recorded directly on the server rather than just having the content copied over to the server later.  Also, this would save me on my electric bill and wear on my computers since I could just leave the server on to record shows rather than having to leave the HTPC and WHS PC on to record shows and stream them.

Also, are there any security camera capture cards that work with WHS?  Again, if I could use a single box as both a server and security recorder, it would simplify things and save on electricity.

Is any of this even possible?
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:01 PM

Answers

• There's no support for tuners in Windows Home Server. It's possible to install one and use it, but you'll have to use a solution like SageTV, etc. for control. And (again) there's no built-in support for streaming video afar (if your internet connection will even support it). For video capture cards you would need to check with the makers of such hardware.

You'll find a lot of information about Windows Home Server (some general, some very technical) on the Microsoft web site .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by SactoDoug Friday, February 26, 2010 6:52 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:28 PM

All replies

• There's no support for tuners in Windows Home Server. It's possible to install one and use it, but you'll have to use a solution like SageTV, etc. for control. And (again) there's no built-in support for streaming video afar (if your internet connection will even support it). For video capture cards you would need to check with the makers of such hardware.

You'll find a lot of information about Windows Home Server (some general, some very technical) on the Microsoft web site .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by SactoDoug Friday, February 26, 2010 6:52 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Thank you for answering my question.  It sounds like WHS does not meet my needs.

I guess the best solution for me then is to create a 2nd HTPC and install automatic backup software on all my PCs that will save to the HTPC "server".
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Or use WHS as a media store to read from your HTPC....
    Friday, February 26, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Hi SactoDoug,
     Read your post and I am also thinking of adding TV to my home build. The "Brits" are doing this with some success.

Check this Podcast:The Media Center Show #245 – Networked Tuners
     http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/blogs/ian/archive/2010/02/25/the-media-center-show-245-networked-tuners.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheDigitalLifestyle+%28The+Digital+Lifestyle+and+Media+Center+Show%29 

The only thing is the hardware they are using is setup for Euro - TV and may not configure for US-TV the same way if you are in the US since TV in Europe uses a different Broadcast standard.

The Podcast at least tell you that others are adding TV to an WHS environment with some good results and that it is possible.

Tony [A.Ham]

P.S the Podcast is from a British WHS Blog sight I ran across found Here:

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/02/26/the-media-center-show-podcast-245/ 

"Today is the First Day of The Rest of Your Life, because No matter How Far You Go There You R."
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:02 AM