Installation of HPC Pack 2008 R2 with SP4 fails on server components RRS feed

Answers

• Hi, Nouri

The events show performance counters cannot be properly installed on the computer node.

Can the performance counter monitor work properly on this PC? Please open it with Win+R typing perfmon.exe, and have a check if it properly works.

And is there corrupt registry category naming HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Node Manager, and could you paste what's in it?

If the Performance Counter is not work properly, it might be helpful to try to rebuild Performance Counters with following guide:

Event ID 3012 Performance Counter Loading: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775053(v=ws.10).aspx

(Note: I cannot simply repro the problem on Win 7 Ultimate machines, but I have tried the commands in the blog to see it's effect, anyway please try this after OS backup in case unexpected errors.)

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Nima Nouri Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:58 AM

All replies

• Hi, Nouri:

This link http://gpiutmd.iut.ac.ir/hpc/hpcMsi-20151116-1132.txt cannot be opened, could you have a double check?

If possible could you packet the logs in path C:\Windows\Temp\HPCSetupLogs and uploaded them all, that would be helpful.

And furthermore what's the OS version of your workstation node? Thanks!

Best Regards

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:06 AM
  • Hi Fan

Sorry seems a typo in the hyperlink. the second link is corrected now.

workstation OS version is 7 ultimate.

these two files are all of the files in that folder.

Best Regards

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:46 AM
  • Hi, Nouri:

Could you check the eventviewer(Press Win+R, input eventvwr.exe in the window pop-up to trigger).

Check what provided under Windows Logs-Application during the installation.

Is there events whose Source is LoadPerf, if there is could you offer the event details.

And from the log, it shows when installing server component, client component has already been installed, so is this because the former setup try failed, and you retried installation after the failure which create this log? Just want to make sure this is a clean setup with unified HPC 2008 R2 Enterprise with SP4 products on a computer with no other version products.

And further please make sure there is no system pending reboots during the setup, and the installation is executed with Administrator privileges.

Best Regards

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:43 AM
  • Hi Fan

I had HPC pack 2008R2 on this computer working. Then I tried to upgrade to SP4. so I uninstalled the previous version as said in the Microsoft article in the following order if I recall correctly.

1.excel package 2.server component 3.client component 4.MPI package

then I downloaded the full package of HPC 2008R2 SP4 and installed it. in the first attempt it installed mpi package and client components but failed on installing server components. I tried reading the log file but I could not understand the reason of failure. So I have cleared the log folder and tried to install the sp4 again but I did not uninstalled the mpi package nor the client component. Then I created this post and send you the log file of the last attempt.

Also find the event viewer content of another installation I have done today again. It has four LoadPerf errors.

http://gpiutmd.iut.ac.ir/hpc/winlog-app.evtx

Also there is no pending reboot on the computer.

Thank you for your time

Best Regards

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:27 AM
  • Hi, Nouri

The events show performance counters cannot be properly installed on the computer node.

Can the performance counter monitor work properly on this PC? Please open it with Win+R typing perfmon.exe, and have a check if it properly works.

And is there corrupt registry category naming HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Node Manager, and could you paste what's in it?

If the Performance Counter is not work properly, it might be helpful to try to rebuild Performance Counters with following guide:

Event ID 3012 Performance Counter Loading: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775053(v=ws.10).aspx

(Note: I cannot simply repro the problem on Win 7 Ultimate machines, but I have tried the commands in the blog to see it's effect, anyway please try this after OS backup in case unexpected errors.)

Best Regards

• Marked as answer by Nima Nouri Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:58 AM
  • Hi, Fan

Actually I repaired the performance counter as said in that article: (Event ID 3012 Performance Counter Loading: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775053(v=ws.10).aspx)

and the installation continued without a problem and its working correctly now.

Regards.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:26 AM
  • Hi, Nouri:

That's great to hear about this!

HPC 2012 R2 Update 3 has released just now. It contains Linux and GPU nodes support, recommend to have a try if you are interested in it.

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 1:06 PM
  • Thanks

Will give it a try.

Best Regards

Saturday, November 21, 2015 8:40 AM