Non Genuine Windows RRS feed

• Question

• After discovering that my copy of Windows XP was not genuine and having had several months of liaising with Trading Standards to see what could be done to prosecute the vendor, what do I do now?

From checking my system information, I seem to have "Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Version 2002 - Service Pack 2.  It's running on an AMD Sempron Processor - 2600+ - 1.60Hz with 192MB of Ram.

The above information is all 'double-dutch' to me and I'm afraid means nothing.  I am a complete novice when it comes to the technical side of things.

Why do I have 'Professional'?  Why not Home Edition.  Do I have to purchase a new, genuine copy of Professional again and not Home?  What's the difference?

I hardly use any of the programs on my computer - simply using it for surfing the web, joining in several forums, emailing, etc. 

If I do purchase 'genuine' windows - professional/home or otherwise, will I be able to install it myself?  In my limited 'knowledge' capacity?  Do I need to buy it here from Microsoft, or should I take my computer to another (hopefully reputable) dealer and pay them to do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 4:47 PM

Answers

• Maggie,

Now that we can see the full report, here is the rundown:

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade only licenses and cannot be used as the original license for the computer.

If you search the forum for the part of the Product Key that is shown by the utility, W6Q28-B3VDG-CTX9C, you will see that Product Key has been reported on the computers of at least nine other posters.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your Office 2003 Pro installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).

We have already established that your computer did not come with any official Microsoft materials such as a CoA, a genuine CD, or a genuine User Pamphlet for either Windows XP Pro or Office 2003 Pro.  Just FYI, the type of software piracy that you seem to have fallen vitim to is called "hard disk loading" where the software is just loaded onto the hard disk and you receive no supporting documentation and no means of reinstalling the software.  If you had hi-quality counterfeit materials such as a counterfeit product CD, you may have qualified to receive complimentary replacements from Microsoft.

In order to Get Genuine, you can participate in both the Windows Genuine Offer at this link http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0ENKAC and the Office Genuine Offer at this link http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EJAAE to purchase genuine Windows and Office at significant discounts.

Sorry we could not provide better news

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:39 PM

All replies

• Maggie,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Saturday, April 28, 2007 9:24 PM
  • Have copied yodur link to run the diagnostic check, clicked the copy button, but can't seem to get the option to 'paste' onto this thread.

Nothing on the computer, nor the stuff that came with it, for a COA.  Nothing either on the computer itself.

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Tried to follow the above.

Used your link and got diagnostic check thing - the windows tab came up straight away and said - in red - blocked VLK.  Can't seem to get any further than that.  There is a box at the bottom which says 'copy' - clicked that but nothing happened.  Tried to copy using rh click on mouse, but nothing.

There is nothing on my computer - no labels - nothing - and nothing in the bits and pieces that came with it.  No manufacturers name either.  (Not much help am I)

Sorry didn't answer you sooner - had trouble getting back to this site.

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:18 PM
  • Dan, sorry to keep you waiting for reply - couldn't get into this site for some reason.

Right, have used your link above - got the diagnostic screen up - it went straight into the windows tab.  I clicked the copy button, but nothing will happen.  It does show, in red, 'blocked VLK'.  Doesn't give me an option either to 'apply'.

Have looked on the computer and with materials with it - no COA to be found that I can see - no manufacturer's name anywhere to be found either.

Not very helpful I know.  Sorry.

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Am trying to answer this - for the fourth time.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Dan - have tried to answer this question four times now

Used your link for diagnostic check - it went immediately to the 'window' tab - in red it says Blocked VLK - pressed 'copy' nothing happened, neither was the 'apply' button usable.  Neither was rh click on mouse.

There is nothing on my computer, nor with the paperwork etc., relating to COA.

Neither is there a manufacturer's name on the computer.

Not much help there I'm afraid.

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:55 PM
  • Maggie,

I understand the problem you had posting...it seems that the Forum was experiencing problems today..

Clicking the Copy button loads the report into the Windows Clipboard.  To paste into the thread, you could use the Clipboard-paste icon in the forum message toolbar, or you could just use the standard Windows keyboard shortcut of CTRL+V to paste the contents of the clipboard into the active window.

But reading what you posted in your attempted replies, the prognosis is not good.  "Blocked VLK" means that you have XP Pro installed and that XP Pro was installed with a corporate Product Key that has been blocked by Microsoft.  So your only hope would be that there originally was a legit installation of XP on the computer at some time which you could fall back on, and that would be proven by a CoA affixed to the computer if an OEM installation or on a retail box if a retail installation.

Since you don't have a CoA, there's virtually no chance that the computer ever had a real license for XP.  Did you buy this computer new?  Did it come with a CD?  If so, and depending upon how good of a fake it is, you may have an attractive alternative.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 1:43 AM
  • Will try, yet again, to answer your post!!!

Used your link to run the utility - it went straight into the Windows tab where, in red, it states Blocked VLK.  Clicked the copy button.  Nothing.  Couldn't right click, copy and paste either.

I have nothing regarding a COA and no manufacturer's name.

Not a lot of help I'm afraid.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:25 AM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-W6Q28-B3VDG-CTX9C
    Windows Product Key Hash: ObVIR2n/FhI5KfjTJAelrehi/dQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-642-4406923-23382
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 5bbf8f03-db41-4e40-bf8e-809bf3cb16f4
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrowser.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>5bbf8f03-db41-4e40-bf8e-809bf3cb16f4</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CTX9C</PKey><PID>55274-642-4406923-23382</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1078081533-606747145-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>K8UVM</Manufacturer><Model>K8Upgrade-VM800</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>P1.70</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050909000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B1B631EF0184224D</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57751</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wow - managed it!!

Sorry for all my previous, duplicated posts.  You must be sick of reading the same stuff!

Hope this helps a bit. 

I bought the computer new, from a shop next door to where I work and, as far as I was concerned, all was OK.   The only CDs I had with it are one for AMD-VIA??? one for FaxTalk??? and one for User's Manual for TFT LCD Monitor.

They are, I believe, to be prosecuted by Trading Standards for certain 'discrepancies' in their trading matters and I have been liaising with TS since Nov/Dec last year.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 1:39 PM
  • Maggie,

Now that we can see the full report, here is the rundown:

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade only licenses and cannot be used as the original license for the computer.

If you search the forum for the part of the Product Key that is shown by the utility, W6Q28-B3VDG-CTX9C, you will see that Product Key has been reported on the computers of at least nine other posters.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

More bad news:  Your Office 2003 Pro installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).

We have already established that your computer did not come with any official Microsoft materials such as a CoA, a genuine CD, or a genuine User Pamphlet for either Windows XP Pro or Office 2003 Pro.  Just FYI, the type of software piracy that you seem to have fallen vitim to is called "hard disk loading" where the software is just loaded onto the hard disk and you receive no supporting documentation and no means of reinstalling the software.  If you had hi-quality counterfeit materials such as a counterfeit product CD, you may have qualified to receive complimentary replacements from Microsoft.

In order to Get Genuine, you can participate in both the Windows Genuine Offer at this link http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0ENKAC and the Office Genuine Offer at this link http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#ID0EJAAE to purchase genuine Windows and Office at significant discounts.

Sorry we could not provide better news

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:39 PM
  • Thanks for all that info, Dan, even if it is all bad news!

So, in a nutshell, I need genuine Windows XP and genuine Windows Office 2003 - if I read you correctly?

Do I need to go with XP Professional, or should it be XP Home (whatever the difference is).?

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Maggie,

Yes, none of the Microsoft Software on the computer is legitimate, so from a licensing standpoint it's just like not having any.

Most home users do not need the extra business-oriented features that separate XP Home from XP Pro.  Here's a chart with the details:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

The wrinkle is that the Genuine Windows Offer does not let you pick which XP to buy from MS; you can only buy the one that's installed.  If you wanted to stick with XP Pro, your most economical choice would be to buy the WGA Kit for XP Pro (because that's what's installed now) from MS for (if I remember correctly) £92.  But, if you wanted XP Home, you would have to purchase it from a trusted retailer or trusted online seller.  If you buy XP Home full retail, it's likely that the price will be higher than £92 (It is, see this:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-XP-Home-Service-Pack/dp/B00061H588/ref=sr_1_16/202-5255049-4573447?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1178054631&sr=1-16)  If you want XP Home, the most economical option would be to purchase what is called a systembuilder/OEM license, which should be available for around £65 (for example, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Service-OEM/dp/B000JTFVME).

The Genuine Office Offer does let you pick from (IIRC) 3 Office editions, but IMO these are less attractive because they are for Office 2003, which is getting a little long in the tooth, and the prices are not as deeply discounted as they are for Windows.  And they might be more Office than you need especially if you just use Word. 

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Ok, Dan.

Thanks again for all your help. 

An expense I could do without and an expensive way to learn not to be so gullible next time!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 6:16 AM
  • Maggie,

You're welcome and Good Luck!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 1:00 PM