Cannot Import CRM DB to new domain RRS feed

• Question

• hi im trying to restore a production db to a new organisation then import. im following this ms article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952934.

Background: new domain on windows 2003 sql 2008 crm dynamics 4.0 rollup 10 i have installed crm correctly creating the dummy website in iis for reporting services to work with sql 2008 and get no errors and i created a dummy org called devtest1 installed rollup 10 then i go to import the organisation in deployment manager, i mapped the administrator account only, i get all ticks on the testing page but then during the install i get the following error

10:37:42| Error| Import Organization (Name=BlueOrchid, Id=6ce750f3-3c75-df11-95e1-000c297b0571) failed with Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid length parameter passed to the LEFT or SUBSTRING function. The statement has been terminated. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at Microsoft.Crm.CrmDbConnection.InternalExecuteNonQuery(IDbCommand command) at Microsoft.Crm.CrmDbConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(IDbCommand command, Boolean impersonate) at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.DBImportHelper.UpdateOrganizationReferences(IDbCommand command, Guid newOrganizationId, String newFriendlyName) at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.ImportOrganizationInstaller.Import(Guid organizationId, String organizationUniqueName, String organizationFriendlyName, String sqlServerName, String databaseName, Uri reportServerUrl, String privilegedUserGroupName, String sqlAccessGroupName, String userGroupName, String reportingGroupName, String privilegedReportingGroupName, ICollection`1 users, MultipleTenancy multipleTenancy) 10:37:42|Warning| Attempting to cancel a long running process: ProgressWizard. This might leave the data in an invalid state and the application might not function correctly.

any help is welcome, thank you

Monday, June 14, 2010 10:31 AM

Answers

• I've read this kb several times in the past month and executed the second option several times and I don't see an option that allows you to rename the organization.

The process must in some fashion map all users in the data base; you can't limit it to just the administrator account.  Do you mean that is the only account for which you specified a mapping?

I, too, would be leary of having differing rollup levels.  The deployment manager is enough of a problem that I would get it done on matching platforms before improving the rollup level.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, June 18, 2010 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the database you are importing contain invoices?? If so, the issue may be this:

http://www.powerobjects.com/blog/2010/02/14/error-installing-ur-8-and-9/

Other items to check
    --Do you have a -  dash in the name of your database?  _ is ok, but - can cause issues
    --Give update rollup 11 a try

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Monday, June 14, 2010 5:01 PM
  • hi,

did the old domain environment had the rollup updates 10? the import might have errors if they are not using the same rollup update version.

Thanks

Marwa Saleh

Monday, June 14, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Hello onyxgaze,

Try to check the SQL updates and versions instead,

Also I've faced some issues with the latest rollup, if you try to remove it and have older stable rollup like 7 on both servers.

Ahmed ElNoby http://ahmedelnoby.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:40 PM
  • I've read this kb several times in the past month and executed the second option several times and I don't see an option that allows you to rename the organization.

The process must in some fashion map all users in the data base; you can't limit it to just the administrator account.  Do you mean that is the only account for which you specified a mapping?

I, too, would be leary of having differing rollup levels.  The deployment manager is enough of a problem that I would get it done on matching platforms before improving the rollup level.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, June 18, 2010 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:11 PM