Windows XP Key update tool RRS feed

• Question

•  

I guess I will add to the list of irritated people trying to work with Microsoft in making there copies legal. We are upgrading the computers at work I am cloning machines so that we can get rid of them and want to use the key codes that came with the computers originally. I built the first machine fine and validated the key code but when I ran the update tool to change the key code on the imaged machine and before I put the new code in it gave the error like everyone else got of 0X800402c9 with a warning of low disk space. I have 40 machines that I am needing to image and I do not want to build everyone of them from scratch. I am hoping with Microsofts infinite wisdom they can figure out how to do this.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 6:09 PM

Answers

• Covictory,

The Windows XP Product Key Updater utility was not designed as a deployment tool and should not be expected to act as such.

Presumably you are trying to remove your corporate image and put the OEM installation back onto the computer in order to dispose of them properly.  The only Microsoft approved method to accomplish that task is to use the manufacturer's recovery/reinstallation solution that came with the computers in the first place.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:59 AM