Please allow OneCare defrag to be disabled/turned-off RRS feed

• General discussion

• I see other threads asking for this. I asked for it during the beta and still want it today.

I use a 3rd party defragger, I like the way it works. After the 3rd party defragger defrags my disk, the OneCare defragger thinks my disk is very fragmented - not good.

Dear OneCare team - please add this as a feature.

Thanks,
    Carl

Thursday, March 27, 2008 1:16 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback/request. I know that this is something that many have asked for. I don't know why OneCare hasn't yet been changed to allow us to configure or disable Defrag much like we can choose to not perform the cleanup function.

-steve

Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Hi.  I also have a third party defragment program that works totally in the background and is easy to configure.  I would also like to be able to turn off the OncCare defrag.

Thanks

J

Sunday, March 30, 2008 3:20 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

Thanks for the feedback/request. I know that this is something that many have asked for. I don't know why OneCare hasn't yet been changed to allow us to configure or disable Defrag much like we can choose to not perform the cleanup function.

-steve

Probably because there's a quote attributed to the product manager from 1.0 that basically states "I know what's best for your computer and the end user shouldn't be given the option to be confused by a checkbox that disables tune-up." I really do hate using OneCare for this sole reason and wish there was a better alternative that offered a better balance between scanning performance and resource usage.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:52 PM
  • I don't recall a statement to that effect, though it is most certainly possible that something along those lines was said.

In fact, I recall a thread initiated by the Program Manager that was responsible for Tune-up back in the 1.0/1.5 time frame where he asked for opinions for the best way to handle Defrag configurability in OneCare, assuming it would be provided.

-steve
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 7:06 PM
  • Actually, the PM was looking for ammunition along with the opinions to take back to the team, since he was apparently fighting an uphill battle to get this changed. I'd guess from the current situation that he lost.

I think the difficulty in this case was how to define a single rule that could work in all cases, since it was considered highly unlikely that any form of added 'checkbox' would be considered acceptable by the whole team. This meant that it was unlikely that a solution for those using alternative defragmenters would ever occur.

I guess I have to agree that the target market for OneCare, non-technical "set it and forget it" type users are really not likely to also be buying a 'techie' add-on like a third-party defrag tool. What this group really needs is a stripped down version of the OneCare AV/AS, possibly with an option to also use the firewall and/or backup, with more controls.

It will be interesting to see what the upcoming 'server' version of OneCare has as features, since I suspect it may be a bridge product we've often discussed to reside between the Active Directory managed ForeFront Security and the current home user focused OneCare.

OneCareBear

Friday, April 4, 2008 4:36 AM
  • I am very, very techical, but when it comes to the things OneCare does I love 'set it and forget it' - and I really mean a deep love as I don't have a computer to maintain it. There are just so many more fun things to do with it, like installing beta software and breaking it

But if the non-technical people can't deal with a checkbox and the product team finds it a philosophical issue then I would take a configuration file or registry key and they could make us look it up in the knowledge base or msdn - all fine with me.

Carl

Friday, April 4, 2008 11:53 AM
  • Wanted to add my feedback here also - I run Vista and OneCare on a RAID. Tune-up has never completed on my machine so far, gets as far as the defrag stage and goes no further. Longest I've let it run for is approx 36 hours. In the end edited the registry as suggested in various places along the way here.

It really would be superb if there was an option to run / not run defrag as part of Tune-up.

Monday, April 14, 2008 10:27 PM