CRM 3.0 - Outlook Client partially uninstalls itself? RRS feed

• Question

• This one has me totally stumped.

Provisioned a brand new laptop for a user last week, running XP with SP3, Outlook 2003, and installed the Offline version of the Outlook client for CRM 3.0 (with SP1).

Client worked fine for a few days, maybe even a week, but this morning the Track in CRM button stopped working. It was still there, not greyed out, but just did nothing when you clicked it. Further, opening an email I found that the CRM menu didn't appear at all inside the email itself.

Looking further, the microsoft.crm.hoster exe wasn't running, and when I tried to start it manually, I find that the C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM folder doesn't exist at all. Huh?

So I proceed to uninstall the client and reinstall it, but when I click Remove in Add/Remove Programs, the installer runs through as for a new install - not a removal. The installer then proceeds to complain about 3 things when it does the preinstall check:

1. Indexing service is not running
    2. Indexing service is not set to auto start
    3. CRM address book already exists.

Now, I would expect that for a new OS install, but given that this laptop has only recently been setup, and CRM has already been installed previously, how on earth does it come to be in this state? Resolving those 3 items, and continuing the install works perfectly fine, and the client is now functioning as normal.

I should say at this point that the user in question is not what I would consider a tinkerer (wont even click OK on an error message without asking first), and nobody else has touched this laptop since it was provisioned. Nor has anything changed in our environment that I could even begin to associate with these symptoms.

We are upgrading to 4.0 shortly, so this isn't going to continue to be a problem for us, but I would love to hear if anyone else has encountered anything like this - primarily to assist anyone that has this problem in the future.

I for one am totally baffled.

Monday, July 28, 2008 11:54 PM

Answers

•  

It applies because you said that the software somehow got partially installed and the installation wizard was saying that it could not install because the crm address book was already installed.

I was suggesting that you do a clean uninstall, than a new install-- install the latest client (vc3) and rollup 2 and rollup 3 to fix the problem.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:55 AM

All replies

• Frequently the outlook client for 3.0 does not uninstall neatly.  You have to go in and manually remove the toolbar and the crm address book.  see http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2008/02/complete-crm-ou.html for instructions on doing a complete uninstall

You will want to totally remove the 3.0 client before installing the 4.0 version.

Fortunately, the 4.0 client uninstalls much more neatly, and there is a really nice configuration wizard that you can run when the plugin is unresponsive.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Err, thanks, but I'm not sure how that speaks to my post.

For clarity, the instance of the client I was referring to was never uninstalled by a human or an automated process. It simply ceased to exist all of a sudden.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:10 AM
  •  

It applies because you said that the software somehow got partially installed and the installation wizard was saying that it could not install because the crm address book was already installed.

I was suggesting that you do a clean uninstall, than a new install-- install the latest client (vc3) and rollup 2 and rollup 3 to fix the problem.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:55 AM
  • first completely uninstall and restart your machine

see registry settings and remove all possilbe in software section

http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/03/18/update-rollup-3-for-microsoft-dynamics-crm-3-0.aspx

then update rollup and install again

Regards,

Imran

Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:26 AM
  •  

Do you have any other outlook add-ins installed?  I have seen Outlook business contact manager cause problems with the CRM outlook client before.
    Friday, August 1, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Thanks Dave

Good suggestion, but in this particular case, no there were no other add-ons installed.

I think I may have found the cause, but I'm not 100% sure yet (time will tell). We run an SBS environment here (though neither CRM nor SQL are on the SBS box), and part of the SBS setup script checks that the Outlook client is installed, and if it isn't, tries to install it. What I suspect has happened is that SBS doesn't know about the rollup for the CRM client, so hasn't recognised the existing client install, and so has tried to reinstall it, effectively uninstalling it.

Doesn't quite explain the precise state I found the client in - things were still there that a normal uninstall would usually remove - but its the best I can do at this stage.

Monday, August 4, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Okay - this is not directly related, but I have come accross the same issue with World of Warcraft.  It magically uninstalls itself with no human interaction. 

The routine is -

1) first clean out all the remaining trash after the magic uninstall, i.e., delete appropriate directories and delete registry entries.

2) Reinstall both the base program and the expansion pack

3) Apply numerous patches

4) Get into the game and play for however long you play

5) Get bored and do other non computer activities

6) Computer goes to sleep

7) When computer wakes up - desktop icon for the game is gone as well as the .exe files in the root directory for the game.

Running Windows Vista - Home Premium

The only anamoly that I see is during patching a screen will pop up indicating that the program did not install correctly, which I ignore (x to close the box).

Any ideas?

Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:44 AM