none
HPC workstation node on Windows 10?

Question

• Has anyone tried using Windows 10 Pro as a workstation node?  Everything installs correctly, but when I try to approve a node, it stays in "Transitonal" forever, and the only error it returns is "Failed to get IP transport handle".  I did find that it worked on a system that was upgraded in-place, but has not on anything clean installed. 
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We investigated this issue and found that the root cause is some registry values missing in Windows 10.

You can add the registry values manually to work around this issue.

Please add a DWORD value named "ProtocolId" with value 21(Hexadecimal) under the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess\RouterManagers\Ip

And add it with value 57(Hexadecimal) under the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess\RouterManagers\Ipv6" as well if it exists.

• Marked as answer by bryan.doe Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When HPC Pack 2012 R2 update 2 is released, win10 is still not publicly available. We will check the problem and get back here. 

Qiufang Shi

Thursday, September 17, 2015 5:02 AM
  • Yes, I saw Update 2 pre-dated 10 by a few weeks, but I was hoping it'd be close enough. I should note that my server is still running Update 1, though I did try installing Update 1 and Update 2 on the client as a test.  I can look in to upgrading the server.

Hopefully there's a simpler fix than another update; funny enough, this is the only thing I've run in to that isn't compatible.  Looking forward to any information you may have.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:30 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for reporting this error, the reason is that an API to get IP transport handle fails to work on Windows 10.  Windows 10 is currently not in the supported OS list for HPC Pack 2012 R2 Update 2. However, we will investigate this error.

Friday, September 18, 2015 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for any information you can come up with.  I did upgrade our server to Update 2 today, and as expected it did not help with Windows 10.

Friday, September 18, 2015 3:35 AM
  • Hi,

We investigated this issue and found that the root cause is some registry values missing in Windows 10.

You can add the registry values manually to work around this issue.

Please add a DWORD value named "ProtocolId" with value 21(Hexadecimal) under the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess\RouterManagers\Ip

And add it with value 57(Hexadecimal) under the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteAccess\RouterManagers\Ipv6" as well if it exists.

• Marked as answer by bryan.doe Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:36 AM
  • I actually found that the entire Ip key was missing, but exporting it from a Windows 7 system and importing it in 10 worked.  I've now successfully added two nodes running 10 to our cluster.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 14, 2015 7:17 PM
  • After imported both IP and IPV6 keys from Win7 to Win10, I'm still getting the following error message.....

"Could not contact node 'xxxxxx' to perform change. The management service was unable to connect to the node using any of the IP addresses resolved for the node.

"Could not contact node 'xxxxxx' to perform change. Connection Failed. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to 

Ping and rdp works fine from server to these workstations.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Thursday, July 7, 2016 1:07 PM
  • Hi RCHOO,

The error you met Seems another issue.

Can you check whether a firewall rule named "HPC Management Service (TCP-In)" with local TCP port 6729,6730 is enabled in you workstation node?

Monday, July 11, 2016 5:22 AM