none
MCTS 70-432 exam book doesn't really prepare you for the exam. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I just took the exam for  70-432 and needless to say didn't do well, but I have never done this before and all I did was study out of the book Server 2008 Implementation and Maintenance but to my dismay not too much material came out of the book but based on some real world experience. The material the came from the book I did excellent on but the rest was a come and go how you please and guess me if you can. My question is how do I prepare for this test without using this book because I had trouble with the book there are things in the book that are inaccurate such as the book tells you to reference Ch. 13 Lesson 4,6,7 and they don't even exist, on the practice test I answered a question right that was marked incorrect but then the explanation was wrong so my question becomes what prep material do I use and why does Microsoft reference material that is not accurate?

Please note that I am not slamming anyone, I don't think it right that you don't reference the book for your test if the person who is taking the test hasn't had the real world experience.

Monday, June 7, 2010 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry to hear you didn't pass the test. Let me first tell you that if you think that the book has errors in it send mail to the authors at mspress. In the book you'll find an option that states ""we'd like to hear from you". Send feedback and explain the consequences of the errors in the book. They won't refund anything but they will make editorial changes if you send them feedback.

For preparing i can only say "get hands on". Take the book as a guideline read the additional articles and practice a lot with the pc. Create your own scenarios.

I did the 431 (sql 2005) and have to say it scared the ... out of me. This one is hard and simulation questions as well. That was new when this test came out for the first time. So don't be disappointed and give it another shot.

Maurice

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:44 PM

• Hi,

Complementing what Maurice is telling you. Every exam correspond to a Job Description with a certain degree of experience. Moreover, there’s 4 levels of knowledge on Microsoft Platform and solution, 100 to 400 being 100 the lowest or basic and 400 the deepest knowledge, usually referred to programmers.

The exams are made by a team of people considered as Subject Matter Experts who have deep experience in the product. As Maurice said, “take the book as a guideline”, then take a Microsoft training that’ll allow you to have first hand experience on the product, with a trainer who is knowledgeable to the product. You can buy Microsoft e-learning products as well. Certainly, no preparation is enough . Even with lots of field experience, many Techies (I avoid DBAs, or MCPs on purpose) didn’t have the opportunity to try all the features of a product in a lifetime because they are dedicated to many other products.

Complementing what I’m saying,

1)     go to the Audience Profile and try to figure out your picture on it

In the case of 70-432 (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-431&locale=en-us )

Audience Profile

Candidates should have one to two years of experience using SQL Server 2008 or two to three years of experience using a previous version of SQL Server . Candidates for this exam are IT professionals who have jobs in which database administration is their main area of responsibility, or they work in environments in which databases are central to their job roles. These job roles include the following:

• IT generalists who work in environments in which SQL Server 2008 is part of an overall solution
    • IT professionals who manage systems that run SQL Server 2008
    • IT professionals who work with third-party applications that are built on SQL Server 2008
    • Developers who build applications that use SQL Server 2008

2)     Get the exam description and go to “Skills Measured ”. Be honest and prepare yourself to everything on that Skills

3)     Build Notes about every Skill measured and fill it with Technet References and Articles.

4)     Install the product in a isolated environment. Upgrade it, install service packs, access it.

5)     Sometimes you must think as a User, sometimes as an Administrator, Sometimes as an Architect, and sometimes as the boss of everyone

6)   Build scenarios, such as High availability, database grow, security, performance....

Enjoy yourself

Just begining
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry to hear you didn't pass the test. Let me first tell you that if you think that the book has errors in it send mail to the authors at mspress. In the book you'll find an option that states ""we'd like to hear from you". Send feedback and explain the consequences of the errors in the book. They won't refund anything but they will make editorial changes if you send them feedback.

For preparing i can only say "get hands on". Take the book as a guideline read the additional articles and practice a lot with the pc. Create your own scenarios.

I did the 431 (sql 2005) and have to say it scared the ... out of me. This one is hard and simulation questions as well. That was new when this test came out for the first time. So don't be disappointed and give it another shot.

Maurice

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:44 PM

• Hi,

Complementing what Maurice is telling you. Every exam correspond to a Job Description with a certain degree of experience. Moreover, there’s 4 levels of knowledge on Microsoft Platform and solution, 100 to 400 being 100 the lowest or basic and 400 the deepest knowledge, usually referred to programmers.

The exams are made by a team of people considered as Subject Matter Experts who have deep experience in the product. As Maurice said, “take the book as a guideline”, then take a Microsoft training that’ll allow you to have first hand experience on the product, with a trainer who is knowledgeable to the product. You can buy Microsoft e-learning products as well. Certainly, no preparation is enough . Even with lots of field experience, many Techies (I avoid DBAs, or MCPs on purpose) didn’t have the opportunity to try all the features of a product in a lifetime because they are dedicated to many other products.

Complementing what I’m saying,

1)     go to the Audience Profile and try to figure out your picture on it

In the case of 70-432 (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-431&locale=en-us )

Audience Profile

Candidates should have one to two years of experience using SQL Server 2008 or two to three years of experience using a previous version of SQL Server . Candidates for this exam are IT professionals who have jobs in which database administration is their main area of responsibility, or they work in environments in which databases are central to their job roles. These job roles include the following:

• IT generalists who work in environments in which SQL Server 2008 is part of an overall solution
    • IT professionals who manage systems that run SQL Server 2008
    • IT professionals who work with third-party applications that are built on SQL Server 2008
    • Developers who build applications that use SQL Server 2008

2)     Get the exam description and go to “Skills Measured ”. Be honest and prepare yourself to everything on that Skills

3)     Build Notes about every Skill measured and fill it with Technet References and Articles.

4)     Install the product in a isolated environment. Upgrade it, install service packs, access it.

5)     Sometimes you must think as a User, sometimes as an Administrator, Sometimes as an Architect, and sometimes as the boss of everyone

6)   Build scenarios, such as High availability, database grow, security, performance....

Enjoy yourself

Just begining
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:16 PM
  • I really have to say thanks to both of you. I have been banging my head all day after taking the test and really got down on myself but I am going to keep doing the practice and playing with it and talk to some people who have been working on this so I could get the experience, I am going to keep asking questions if you guys don't mind so that I could continue to learn this. I did send some feed back on the book also I saw, while doing a google search, that there were some know issues with the book and I appreciate you guys understanding that I am not trying to slam anyone because everyone make mistakes.

Once again thanks so much for the answers and more answers are really appreciated.

Monday, June 7, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Hi AAllen,

Thanks for your words. Please banging your head could be expensive and surely painful (hear some Nickelback or Eric Clapton). Instead, you can try to move to other exams. I mean, the worst thing you can do is to get stuck in any exam. Please begin to work on 70-450 (SQL 2008 MCITP). Maybe you need more vision around the technology. In certifications exams, the line between MCTS and the MCITP is thin. The Pro exams will be tough, because they demand you to have knowledge on the technology. So getting into the next exam material will give you perspective.

At end of the line, the brain and the body get tired of studying all the time the same thing. Give you a kinda relax. We Techies tend to be too straight line aiming on our objectives. Do a Marathon, never is too late for...

Enjoy yourself,

Alfredo Arizaleta

Just begining
    Monday, June 7, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Have a look at the post, Exam 70-432 - My Guide to Passing First Time.

I share my own methodology that I used to pass this particular certification.

John Sansom | SQL Server DBA Blog | @SQLBrit on Twitter | SQLBrit Community Forum - A place to share all the "other stuff" there is to being a Data Professional

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:41 AM