none
Question about newsreader RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm just curious what kind of newsreaders you guys are using. I'm currently
    using windows live mail with NNTP bridge but i just can't get used to live
    mail. I only use it for posting here so any tips would be great.

Thanks

Ivan
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:59 PM

Answers

• You are welcome. :-)

Note that typographical quotation marks will work as long as you post in HTML format.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:01 AM

All replies

• If you want a free alternative, Mozilla Thunderbird can be used. It allows for (limited) HTML source code editing, which is an advantage if you are posting in HTML format. On the other hand, it gives you less control over the posting format; I have found that it unexpectedly switches to plain text format even if you specified HTML as your preference. (When it gets the format correct it asks you to confirm it, which I find annoying.)

Windows Live Mail gives no options for source editing, and the font used for quoted messages is Calibri (hardcoded--can't be changed in the Options). Although you can change this manually when editing your message, you can't completely get rid of references to Calibri in the source code. The HTML created could be better, in other words.

WLM does give you full control over the format (HTML or plain text) that you are posting in. Another advantage is that it is similar to Outlook Express (for example with regards to keyboard shortcuts) so there is no learning curve if you've used OE in the past.

Actually, Outlook Express is my favorite, although it has some flaws of its own. Obviously, I can't use it unless I run Windows XP. (This particular post is written in OE on Windows XP running in a virtual machine on my Windows 7 laptop.)

Some people recommend Forte Agent, which I haven't tried. Note, however, that it is commercial software.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the answers. I�??ll stick with WLM then

i mis the propose as answer feature like on webbased in a newsreader. How do you do it?

Ivan
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Sticking with WLM isn’t necessarily the best choice, even though I have made it--for now. :-)

As far as I know, Propose as Answer is not supported when posting via a newsreader.

By the way, which NNTP Bridge are you using? Microsoft’s? Or the Community Bridge? The reason I ask is that you should set the EncodingForClient option to Windows-1252 in the Community Bridge (Tools | Advanced Options); that way, you’ll get the correct typographical quotation marks when posting.

The Community Bridge, as you may already know, is found at:

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Yeah using the community bridge tools. I was searching for the that quotation problem. Thanks alot!

I think i fixed it now, let me "try"
     "Stefan Blom [MVP]" schreef in bericht news:0823375f-ce57-4e53-a960-2ee03feec3a6@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
     Sticking with WLM isn’t necessarily the best choice, even though I have made it--for now. :-)

As far as I know, Propose as Answer is not supported when posting via a newsreader.

By the way, which NNTP Bridge are you using? Microsoft’s? Or the Community Bridge? The reason I ask is that you should set the EncodingForClient option to Windows-1252 in the Community Bridge (Tools | Advanced Options); that way, you’ll get the correct typographical quotation marks when posting.

The Community Bridge, as you may already know, is found at:

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com
     -- Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Ivan
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:02 AM
  • You are welcome. :-)

Note that typographical quotation marks will work as long as you post in HTML format.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:01 AM