Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have the old version 1 currently and was one of the original testers.

I purchased 2011 and it is sitting on my desk.

I am interested in what hardware (HDs) would make up a good system.

I have about 350 Gig of data on my main desktop PC.

I was thinking a 500 Gig for the OS and 2, 1 Gig drives for data.

I have 2 desktop PCs and 1 laptop that I want to automatically back up.

I guess with the 2011 version I also need an USB drive to back everything up or could that also be an internal drive.

I am a little fuzzy on how to duplicate data as version 1 pooled everything and that was a no brainer.

Would something like this be a good starter system.

Sorry if this has been covered some where, but I did look and could not find this type of info.

Thanks

Bob

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:49 AM

Answers

• The minimum system requirements for WHS 2011 are:

• System Requirements:
      • 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
      • 2 GB RAM
      • At least one 160 GB hard drive.
    • NTFS is the only supported file system.

There is no fundamental reason why you need to install the OS on the smallest drive. It will, during installation, create an OS Partition (C:) and then use the rest of the drive for shares (D:). You are free to move these (including Client Computer Backups) to other drives as you wish to balance storage, using the move folder wizard in the Dashboard - different shares can be on different drives. In the event of a primary HDD failure the Server can be restored from a server backup and then data restored to whatever was residing on D:.

There is no concept of data duplication as there was on V1, so a robust backup solution is necessary. It is best to use external drvies for both Server and Data backup (which are backed up together) as these can easily be taken off site for added protection. Internal drives can be used for backups but not recommended for the reasons given above.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Bob Millard Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:49 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:20 PM

All replies

• The minimum system requirements for WHS 2011 are:

• System Requirements:
      • 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
      • 2 GB RAM
      • At least one 160 GB hard drive.
    • NTFS is the only supported file system.

There is no fundamental reason why you need to install the OS on the smallest drive. It will, during installation, create an OS Partition (C:) and then use the rest of the drive for shares (D:). You are free to move these (including Client Computer Backups) to other drives as you wish to balance storage, using the move folder wizard in the Dashboard - different shares can be on different drives. In the event of a primary HDD failure the Server can be restored from a server backup and then data restored to whatever was residing on D:.

There is no concept of data duplication as there was on V1, so a robust backup solution is necessary. It is best to use external drvies for both Server and Data backup (which are backed up together) as these can easily be taken off site for added protection. Internal drives can be used for backups but not recommended for the reasons given above.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Bob Millard Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:49 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Thank you for your time and effort.

Bob

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:49 PM