Is WHS a viable XP Pro Replacement for home? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently run a WIN XP Pro as my home "Server" (aka file shares and Remote Desktop) and had been considering a SBS2003 for the home.  However, I have been accepted to the WHS Beta and am wondering if blowing away my Win XP Pro and going to WHS was viable.  For example, can I load MS Office, MWP, other Win 32 apps?  Does the box have a "START" button and all the regular accessories, tools ect?  Would it make a good DVR with my TV Tuner Card?  Can I perform an ActiveSync between my Win Mobil 5 device and MS Outlook loaded onto WHS?  Please advise before I blow away my current config.  Also, can I put WSS 3 on it?  Thanks for the consideration of these questions - i hope they aren't too out-of-line. 

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:45 PM

Answers

• WHS is not a viable replacement for Windows XP, because it's not designed as a desktop operating system in daily use for normal productivity or entertainment tasks. It's designed as a headless (no keyboard, video, or mouse) server appliance on your network.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Most of these considrations has been address here in the forum, whatever it was a failed  or a successful one.

Can you find a pare pc and test the whs on it since you have the beta? That way you will see what will work or not within your setup.

WHS based on windows 2003 server.

WHS meant to be control within the "console", new gui interface to simple many operationals of WHS, if you remote desktop to your whs server, it simply a windows 2003 server, like start in the task .. etc.

I am sure other members will share thier thought and testing if they see this topic.

My best.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:08 PM
  • WHS is not a viable replacement for Windows XP, because it's not designed as a desktop operating system in daily use for normal productivity or entertainment tasks. It's designed as a headless (no keyboard, video, or mouse) server appliance on your network.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:42 PM
  • heh, I forgot to answer the simple Q., but sure Ken cover it Smile

My best.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:50 PM
  •   Many "breakthroughs" have been generated by utilization of products "Designed for..." for other purposes other than the "Designed for;;;" target.  You will not know until you give it try.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:15 PM