KB905474 keeps appearing on WU RRS feed

• Question

• I've now had to install KB905474 twice on this system.  The installation always seems to go ahead fine, but then I'll see the Automatic Updates tray applet appear, stuck at 0% Downloading (despite the settings being set to NOT automatically download or install updates) and I have to go to Windows Update and manually update.  Once I go there, the only update available is KB905474.

Is this normal, and why does this update break Automatic Updates (OK, it's not really "broken" but it's not behaving as it's supposed to)?
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 7:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please visit: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and click on Start Diagnostics.
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 8:50 PM
  • Thanks, but I've already done that and there isn't any problem.

I'm seeing this on all 4 of my systems (2x XP Home OEM, 1x XP Pro Retail, 1x XP MCE2005 OEM) - they have all installed KB905474 several times (sure, it's weeks apart) and every time it causes Automatic Updates to stall until I manually update via IE.  I might as well just not use Automatic Updates anymore.
    Sunday, July 16, 2006 8:57 AM
  • I also encountered this 'stalling' scenario trying to install the last 3 905474 updates on both of my PCs (1= XP-Pro OEM install; 1= XP-Home retail clean install).  Apparently, the automatic update downloaded the files but did not install them.  The downloaded files prevented further downloads/installations, but still showed 905474 as being required when viewed on the manual update site.

I found that the simplest solution was to manually download and install this particular update on each PC.  This installed the update and cleared out the files/info downloaded via the stalled automatic update.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 4:09 PM