Backup fails to load after Windows update RRS feed

• Question

• I just setup WHS this past weekend, so far have had no problems after 4 days. Got a message to do Windows update last night and installed a couple of updates for server 2003 and WHS, IE 7 etc. After reboot BAckup fails to load. All else works fine, but Backup fails and system won't restore to previous setup.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:18 PM

Answers

• I ended up doing a reload of WHS on this system and the problem seemed to be related to a bad hard-drive. Although it was brand new when that drive was not connected, backup came back on liune after a few minutes. I have tested this drive in another PC and it works, but WHS seemed to think it was bad. It would appear in the list of HDD in bios, but when WHS loaded, it would show as missing, and backup would fail to load. After a reload of the OS after removing this drive I am experimenting as to at what point this situation repeats itself.

Friday, August 3, 2007 3:12 PM

All replies

• Can you explain in more detail what errors you are getting?

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Well, I got no error other than backup service wouldn't load. When I went into the log I do see an error that indicates that the :client backup service failed at d:\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(312)

When I go back to lastnight in the log, the first two errors that I find since I installed the OS are at 1:23 a.m. about three hours after I left the machine doing it's update. These two are: #1 --- Unexpected error 0x8 from queueuser workitem, not enough storage is avail. and another that says: process transport failed at d:qhsvl_rc\src\health\passwords

server\credentialshelpersubservice.coo(213). 

The system status now is all drives are showing healthy in the remote console, but under Network I am at critical with backup service not loading. When I go to the server at look at windows explrer, the D: drive referenced about is showing 15GB used and 276GB free. The total server has roughly 2.3 TB installed with49% free, 22% shared, 17& duplicates and 9% backups.

I have rebooted,and restarted the server and the service several times, to no avail

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:17 AM
  • I ended up doing a reload of WHS on this system and the problem seemed to be related to a bad hard-drive. Although it was brand new when that drive was not connected, backup came back on liune after a few minutes. I have tested this drive in another PC and it works, but WHS seemed to think it was bad. It would appear in the list of HDD in bios, but when WHS loaded, it would show as missing, and backup would fail to load. After a reload of the OS after removing this drive I am experimenting as to at what point this situation repeats itself.

Friday, August 3, 2007 3:12 PM
  •  

I received the same log error , same results. Does this really mean that one has to reload the WHS. I tried doing a restart of the whsbackup.exe manually but it starts then stops and says it doesn't have any work to do. My windows updates are automatic for the WHS server so I didn't note the issue until mt network flashed red for all my clients!
    Friday, October 19, 2007 5:03 PM
  • I also had the same problem with the backup services being unavailable. Before I went for a complete reinstall of WHS, I went into the WHS server box (not through RDP) and started to run the Disk Cleanup. After about 10 minutes of it running, I cancelled it and rebooted the server and the backup services were now running.

I'm not clear on what happened but they have been working for the past 2 days.
    Friday, October 19, 2007 5:21 PM
  • Same issue here, after updating: The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running, etc., etc.
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:35 AM