none
Forum Suggestion: Attach File to Forum Post RRS feed

• General discussion

• I think if we could attach a file to a forum post(instead of using skydrive or going outside of msdn forums), this would be very useful.

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles
    *This post does not reflect the opinion of Microsoft, or its employees.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:31 PM

All replies

• I think if we could attach a file to a forum post(instead of using skydrive or going outside of msdn forums), this would be very useful.

Very much agree for ur idea!

Though many people use SkyDrive, but I think it would be better for those who don't use hotmail addresses to register for the forum to submit their sample zip file onto the forum. And in most popular other forums, Posting file is supported.

Why doesn't Microsoft support this?

帮助一起改进论坛质量?提交你的意见于此。
    我的博客园
    慈善点击,点击此处
    和谐拯救危机,全集下载,净化人心

Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Who knows, maybe no one thought of it(as ridiculous as that sounds)??

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles

Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Who knows, maybe no one thought of it(as ridiculous as that sounds)??

Security——Maybe that's the problem!

But our forum can really set a setting that let most of us vote which attached file is running the risk to be deleted forever

帮助一起改进论坛质量?提交你的意见于此。
    我的博客园
    慈善点击,点击此处
    和谐拯救危机,全集下载,净化人心

Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Maybe earn the privilege to upload files after a certain contribution level, that coupled with moderation. Maybe even add an incentive(achievement) for identifying malicious files within the community?

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:05 AM
  • They still take the same risk with galleries, but at least forums are moderated!!!

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:13 AM
  • Maybe earn the privilege to upload files after a certain contribution level, that coupled with moderation. Maybe even add an incentive(achievement) for identifying malicious files within the community?

Yes, that's what I think.

But I think Microsoft should also do to add the function to ease us, but Microsoft should claim that the submitted attached file should be of security and he/she should make sure that it cannot expose security of business things or other dangerous ones……

帮助一起改进论坛质量?提交你的意见于此。
    我的博客园
    慈善点击,点击此处
    和谐拯救危机,全集下载,净化人心

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Yes, that's what I think.

But I think Microsoft should also do to add the function to ease us, but Microsoft should claim that the submitted attached file should be of security and he/she should make sure 

Right, warranty-free, at your own risk, always scan first, etc... I agree.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:17 AM
  • bump. Has anyone considered this?

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 11:29 PM
  • I'm not immediately dismissive of the suggestion, including on the basis of security considerations.  Virus scanning, spam filtering, abuse reporting, etc. could provide probably compensate for the vast majority of associated risks.  Storing the files within the service at least enables such checks and balances, whereas just hosting links to external files provides little assurance that what lives at the other end of the link is safe.  A maximum attachment size would probably be prudent.

I agree it could be a useful feature in some cases.

In my personal experience though, the vast majority of questions can be asked and answered without requiring file attachments. As mentioned above, there are other ways to make files available in conjunction with posts.  Also, there is an argument to be made that if content is stored in attachments it's more opaque to search engines and therefore less discoverable.  So while I agree support for file attachments could be useful in some scenarios, in relative terms this doesn't jump out as a super high priority feature. 

Are you thinking of specific scenarios where text and images are inadequate for getting help from others via the forums?

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:34 AM