Windows Explorer Search does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I open a Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) window and try to do a file search, nothing happens when I click on Search. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:00 PM

Answers

• "Classic search" does not work on WHS. You have to use Windows Desktop Search (Although I have no clue why Microsoft remove "classic search" from WHS).

Andreas M.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:28 PM
  • ... (Although I have no clue why Microsoft remove "classic search" from WHS).
    Probably because desktop access to your server is unsupported. What you refer to as "classic search" is only available from the desktop. The Windows Desktop Search index integrates with remote Vista clients, and lets you search your shares from any PC.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When I open a Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) window and try to do a file search, nothing happens when I click on Search. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tom

Is this question related to Windows Home Server?  If so, please clarify exactly what you're doing.  If not, you should post your question in the appropriate client forums (XP, Vista, or 7).
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:05 PM
  • "Classic search" does not work on WHS. You have to use Windows Desktop Search (Although I have no clue why Microsoft remove "classic search" from WHS).

Andreas M.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:28 PM
  • ... (Although I have no clue why Microsoft remove "classic search" from WHS).
    Probably because desktop access to your server is unsupported. What you refer to as "classic search" is only available from the desktop. The Windows Desktop Search index integrates with remote Vista clients, and lets you search your shares from any PC.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 21, 2009 6:29 PM

Andreas M.

Correct. I have tried to get Classic Search working in WHS, no go
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:28 AM
  • Thanks everyone. I'd finally narrowed it down to that after some extensive web searching.

Tom
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:27 PM