is it really worth going from hs1 to hs2011? RRS feed

• Question

• for backgound, i am bulding myself a new ground up comp in a month or so. which, via trickle down, means my wife gets 'new' comp as does server(wished there was a way to get laptop in this upgrade path). all 3 will be clean installs.

since server will be new to am considering using hs '11. now i know this forum is for people with problems s ou dont see posts that are positive, but given the amount of posts i have seen with same/similar problems, makes me wonder if ther is something inherently flawed with this prog. my bet is that if this program is running correctly it is superior to hs1 in most ways- except for the ridiculously slow recoverys that have been reported.

so, i guess my real question is- is it more likely to get a realitively trouble free installation & 'forget its there until needed at wich time it function properly' experience from vail or should i stick with hs1?   bty setting up hs1 was the extent of my experience with a server/seperate backup system of any kind.

all feedback appreciated.

bty, is there a installation/use guide(for vail) out there anywhere that you guys think is useful & factual?
    • Edited by mike2h Friday, September 30, 2011 10:34 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:19 PM

All replies

• Mike,

Not sure if you've already seen this article: http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/04/07/windows-home-server-windows-home-server-2011-worth-upgrading/ but it might help you decide. Not having had much experience with either version myself, I really can't offer more.

Dale

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Mike

I had both a WHS1 machine and now two WHS2011 Servers and have not (touch wood) had any real problems with either - I believe most of the issues are caused by people fiddling with things they don't really understand. Comparing the two versions, is a bit like comparing XP to W7 - one is not too bad but getting old whereas the other supports all the new technologies and looks good too!

I would recommend WHS 2011 if:

• You can take advantage of its much better streaming activities
    • You have a Windows phone
    • You don't want to store and back up more than 2TB of data - backup is the issue.
    • You don't rely on lots of add-ins to make it do what you want (there are not many available)
    • You don't have lots of small disks you would need Drive Extender to consolidate - personally I would buy a new and consequently more reliable larger disk rather than relying on older used items
    • You want to spend closer to $50 than $100 US for the OS

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:44 PM
  • While I have now installed WHS 2011 and am not seeing most of the issue's reported in the forum, for a trouble free set and forget it type functionality I would stay with WHS v1.

There are some advantages with WHS 2011, newer base operating system and prettier GUI but in my opinion WHS v1 is still a far better system overall.

WHS 2011 backup is not very well designed. The removal of duplication functionality without the use of an addin is also backwards step. In my opinion WHS 2011 is pretty but not overall up to the standard of it's predecessor.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:56 PM
  • thx everybody. i think ill go ahead & give vail a shot. ill try it for a cpl o months(uinless it gets ugly) if im not happy ill go whs. mostly wanted to know wether to even bother trying it & it sounds like i should. 

still worried about the extremely slow recoveries i have read about here-i tend to be impatient according to my wife:). hopefully it never comes to actuall having to do that.

• Edited by mike2h Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:08 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:08 PM
  • I restored a disk (boot drive) with around 100GB of data over the weekend - it took about 35 minutes.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:23 PM
  • ty. i think most/all of the posts i read about extremely slow restores were partial/speicfic files. if im wrong somebody pls correct me otherwise that is what i want to hear :)
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I have been extremely happy with it.  There are some things that it would be nice if MS could improve, ie an official procedure for "removing" offsite backup disks, but overall I've been very happy with everything.

One thing I will note is that on the add-in side, 2011 is still a bit light.  So take a peak if there are any that are show stoppers for you.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:16 PM
  • So here's my take on the upgrade question:

• If you have an OEM server, it's a no-brainer for most folks. You don't upgrade unless you want to buy all new hardware, because the odds your OEM will upgrade their old servers is practically nil. A DIY upgrade isn't easy, and will probably break some hardware features (the lights on an HP MSS, for example, won't work right).
    • If you have a home built server, if it's doing everything you want, and there is no "must have" feature in Windows Home Server 2011, then you stay with V1. It will be supported for at least a couple of years (don't recall the exact time line right now).
    • If you aren't satisfied with V1, and the feature set of 2011 makes you believe that will satisfy you, you upgrade.
    • If none of the above fit, World of Warcraft is that way --> ... Oops, wrong forum. :)
      Seriously, though, if you aren't happy with V1 or 2011, then maybe you need to take a look at (non-Microsoft) alternatives, which do exist.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:11 PM
  • my existing server is pretty old hardware. the one i wi lbe building out of spare parts from our upgrades will have more ram, core 2 duo etc. i have copies of both software so thats non issue. just trying to make informed choice:)

thx again for all help.

• Edited by mike2h Saturday, October 1, 2011 8:36 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:30 PM
  • do any of u know of a good installation/use guide?

Saturday, October 1, 2011 8:38 PM
  • My 2 cents:

V1 just worked.  No issues for years.

• 2011 setup on a 3Ghz AM3 quad core was slow, painful and required multiple attempts for no clear reason.
    • Multiple issues installing the connector software that should not have happened.
    • The 2011 GUI is less functional than V1.
    • Removing drive extender was a fatal mistake. 

I'm not impressed and will be removing 2011 and reinstalling V1.  A waste of $50.

Warren
    • Edited by WMASON Sunday, October 2, 2011 12:28 AM
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 12:24 AM
  • +1
    But, I reached that conclusion a few months ago.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

My 2 cents:

V1 just worked. No issues for years.

* 2011 setup on a 3Ghz AM3 quad core was slow, painful and required multiple attempts for no clear reason.
    * Multiple issues installing the connector software that should not have happened.
    * The 2011 GUI is less functional than V1.
    * Removing drive extender was a fatal mistake.

I'm not impressed and will be removing 2011 and reinstalling V1. A waste of $50.

Warren

BullDawg
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 1:11 AM
  • lol, great had jusy madfe up my mind to give it a shot... think i still will. can always go back to v1 if vail becomes a pain. tyvm, tho, dont think i will give vail much of a shot if i start having problems sounds like it isnt worth putting to much effort into. shame.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 9:08 AM