Windows Pressure to Renew OneCare Subscription - Way Before Old Subscription Expires RRS feed

• Question

• My OneCare Subscription purchased in late September last year has over a month left of service.  I'm being pressured by Windows to renew NOW.  Why NOW?  I plan to renew with one week left.  From my point of view if I renew NOW I'm cheating myself of over a month of a subscription I paid for last year.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:11 AM

Answers

• Why are you posting to the "Off Topic" folder when your question is very much on topic and a good one, too.

OneCare will put you at risk to renew about a month before it is due. I wish that there was a way to reply to the warning and defer it, but that isn't possible. So, you can choose to ignore the warning or go ahead and renew if you planned to do so anyway. You will not lose any remaining subscription time as the renewal takes effect when the old subscription expires. If you renew via a credit card, I don't think you will be charged until that renewal date. If you choose to use a retail key from a new package copy of OneCare, simply go to http://billing.microsoft.com selecting the OneCare subscription, and selecting the option to renew with a PIN/Key/Token. It will extend the subscription for 12 month from the old expiration date and can be done at any time during the subscription period as long as less than 12 months remain on the susbcription.

-steve

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:37 PM

All replies

• Why are you posting to the "Off Topic" folder when your question is very much on topic and a good one, too.

OneCare will put you at risk to renew about a month before it is due. I wish that there was a way to reply to the warning and defer it, but that isn't possible. So, you can choose to ignore the warning or go ahead and renew if you planned to do so anyway. You will not lose any remaining subscription time as the renewal takes effect when the old subscription expires. If you renew via a credit card, I don't think you will be charged until that renewal date. If you choose to use a retail key from a new package copy of OneCare, simply go to http://billing.microsoft.com selecting the OneCare subscription, and selecting the option to renew with a PIN/Key/Token. It will extend the subscription for 12 month from the old expiration date and can be done at any time during the subscription period as long as less than 12 months remain on the susbcription.

-steve

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:37 PM
  • Can't get through to billing.microsoft.com it says temporarily unavailable. I have been trying for over 24 hours.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 3:21 PM
  •  siclmn wrote:

Can't get through to billing.microsoft.com it says temporarily unavailable. I have been trying for over 24 hours.

Try deleting your cookies and temporary Internet files in your browser. I just accessed the site just fine and signed in. It may also be a problem with your account or other settings in the browser preventing a connection. If you continue to have problems accessing the Billing site, I recommend that you contact customer service/support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:39 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

You will not lose any remaining subscription time as the renewal takes effect when the old subscription expires. If you renew via a credit card, I don't think you will be charged until that renewal date. If you choose to use a retail key from a new package copy of OneCare, simply go to http://billing.microsoft.com selecting the OneCare subscription, and selecting the option to renew with a PIN/Key/Token. It will extend the subscription for 12 month from the old expiration date and can be done at any time during the subscription period as long as less than 12 months remain on the susbcription.

-steve

Thanks for that additional info - That's good to know (my subscription is coming due in a few more months).  I was planning to do the same thing as the OP (i.e. wait until about a week before to maximize my subscription), but if it tags it on to the end date of the first subscription, I may just go ahead and do it now.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:21 PM
  • You're welcome, Barnsie. Yes, you can renew at any time with no loss of remaining subscription time.

-steve

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:28 PM