Virtualizing dead laptop RRS feed

• Question

• My Toshiba M200 Tablet has suffered a hardware failure and is experiencing frequent BSODs. The machine was constructed by canibalizing two machines. I have COA with license keys for both original machin3es for Win XP Pro Tablet version. I am trying to load an image of the hard drive in a Sun Virtual Box so I can continue to use functionality until I can repair machine. I also have a Win XP pro license from MSDN-AA that was acquired specifically for the machine the virtual box is running on (Virtual Box is running in a Win 7 system) . Activation fails with all three license keys and won't let me into where I can run MGA tool. How can I activate?
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:36 PM

Answers

• "Tad Wimmer" wrote in message news:c524daa1-7d2a-48d6-9537-5bbff1b48396...
    My Toshiba M200 Tablet has suffered a hardware failure and is experiencing frequent BSODs. The machine was constructed by canibalizing two machines. I have COA with license keys for both original machin3es for Win XP Pro Tablet version. I am trying to load an image of the hard drive in a Sun Virtual Box so I can continue to use functionality until I can repair machine. I also have a Win XP pro license from MSDN-AA that was acquired specifically for the machine the virtual box is running on (Virtual Box is running in a Win 7 system) . Activation fails with all three license keys and won't let me into where I can run MGA tool. How can I activate?

IIRC, Tablet has its own set of Keys, which is why the Pro key wouldn't work. Since Tablet is exclusively OEM, the license is not transferable to another machine - which is why neither tablet Key will work in the VM.
    The Windows Product Key Update tool doesn't, AFAIK work with either Tablet or MC keys - so you'd be out of luck anyhow.
    Best would be to create a new VM with Pro, and then transfer the data from the tablet VM  using simple copy/paste, or an alternative. You'd also have to install any software you needed, of course.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:52 PM
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 4:20 PM