Move my XP Pro OS to another pc RRS feed

• Question

• In my office, I have a few Dell GX-280 computers with Windows XP Pro installed.  One of these computers has a power supply that has died and it's not worth fixing.

What I would like to do is take a computer that is running Windows 98SE and load the XP Pro OS onto it to replace the Dell computer.

Can anyone tell me how I go about authenticating a new install and whether I can just take the COA sticker off the old computer and stick it on the other one?

Thanks,

Michael
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 9:41 PM

Answers

• One cannot move a Dell OEM Windows XP installation to a non-Dell computer.  The Dell OEM license for Windows XP is only valid on the Dell computer it originally shipped with and therefore non-transferrable.  Only "retail versions" of Windows XP are transferrable to a different computer.

Please review the following: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 9:58 PM
  • Major computer manufacturers, such as Dell, use SLP or system-locked-preinstall. SLP takes the place of product activation on Dell machines.  Thus, if a Dell OEM version of Windows XP is not installed on a Dell computer containing a Dell motherboard, the license becomes invalid. 

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:00 PM

All replies

• One cannot move a Dell OEM Windows XP installation to a non-Dell computer.  The Dell OEM license for Windows XP is only valid on the Dell computer it originally shipped with and therefore non-transferrable.  Only "retail versions" of Windows XP are transferrable to a different computer.

Please review the following: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 9:58 PM
  • Hello Carey,

Thanks for the feedback.  Am I to take this as meaning that if I do not repair the Dell computer then the OS is garbage?  If so, how do Misrosoft justify this if I have a valid COA and am not going to continue using the OS on the Dell.  It seems like a very unfair way to treat the owner of the MS software.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 2:51 PM
  • Major computer manufacturers, such as Dell, use SLP or system-locked-preinstall. SLP takes the place of product activation on Dell machines.  Thus, if a Dell OEM version of Windows XP is not installed on a Dell computer containing a Dell motherboard, the license becomes invalid. 

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:00 PM
  • OK, thanks very much for the feedback,

Michael
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:10 PM