Easier Sharing With a Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• One big thing that I think is missing form the WHS is SYNC between my laptop which I take eveywhere and the WHS. Yes, i can use the SYNCTOY but this takes too much manual work compared to other features in the WHS like backup. It sholud be as easy as checking a checkbox of which folder i want to SYNC with what computter. And unlike SYNCTOY it whould look for any changes in the given folders and SYNC it autamaticly unlike you have to do eveything manual in the outdated synctoy.

what do you think .. is it possible to build this into the server software?

--sligy--

Thursday, March 1, 2007 2:46 PM

All replies

• An option would be to use Offline Files, I think. You can designate a network share to be used while offline (disconnected from the WHS, in this case), then set Offline Files to synchronize automatically.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 4:17 PM
  • I like the offline files idea - but it doesn't seem to work for me - i.e. it's not an option..... has anyone got this to work? Any tips or tricks I should know about?
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:42 PM
  • You probably have Fast User Switching enabled. You have to disable that feature to use Offline Files.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:51 PM
  • In the past I have tried a number of things  - offline files, briefcase, SyncToy to name a few -  to try to get automatic backups for my laptop, and I have never found them satisfactory. I if you get this working for you, I'd like to hear about it.

Seems to me like close to half of home PCs are actually laptops now. In my home we have 8 machines. 6 are laptops, one is a PC and one is a Mac Mini. I'd like a good sync option, at least for certain work folders. If it can work in conjunction with regular backups instead of in addition to then that would be better IMHO - meaning my work folders can get very big, I don't forsee endless storage capacity to enable me to duplicate 100Gb of work stuff multiple times. 2 copies I can swallow, but 4 or more might be going a tad far  :-)

Sunday, March 4, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Groove is a good software for "work" sharing, but again a limit of 2GB, i use it for documents only ... [im looking for a patch to allow unlimited amount] If you have Vista you can use Sync Center, but i only have one Vista PC and my laptop is XP, so right now its useless ... when i swich my laptop to vista , ill be "Home" with sync'ing .. [it does Offline files as well]
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 6:42 PM
  • It would be nice if Media Player or Media Center would treat a laptop in the same way it treats a Zune, or any other mobile device.  Where I could sync certain playlists or videos.  Syncing a folder which I would have to update the contents of manually removes some of the elegance of Home Server.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 12:00 AM
  • funenuf: Thats a great idea! I tottaly agreed! ;]
    Friday, March 9, 2007 12:18 AM