Get failure on installing connector RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have used WHS 2011 for a while (couple of years)

Backups stopped working about 6 months ago

I've deleted users.  Added new accounts.

Deleted launch pad and when I try to install the connector again I get this error and it does not install.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:18 PM

All replies

• Try starting here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/computer-connection-support-2.aspx

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 2:12 AM
  • Try starting here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/computer-connection-support-2.aspx

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

That was one of the links I followed during my attempts to install.

The section that lists the error I receive talks about IIS WSS cert running on the WHS machine which it is.  I restarted that service to be sure and the install still fails

The issue is on the local client not the server as the other computers on the network are connected and back up fine.  Only 1 is having issues.  It has access via the network connection to the files on the server but would not back up (has been failing for 6 months).  I have been doing a manual backup to a folder all this time but it would be nice to resolve the issue and get back to automated backups.

The install process places the client computer in the lists in the WHS dashboard but it is listed as "off line" and status "unknown".

I can access the problem client via the network connection from the server (remote desktop) and see files/folders using windows explorer (both directions from the server to the client and from the client to the server).

The issue is with installing the launch pad and dashboard on the client/remote computer

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Which Cliient OS? If XP check that "Terminal services" is running and if Vista/W7 check"Remote Desktop Services".

Do you have any language packs installed? Computer name <15 characters and no non-ascii characters? Dates and times correct?

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Which Cliient OS? If XP check that "Terminal services" is running and if Vista/W7 check"Remote Desktop Services".

Do you have any language packs installed? Computer name <15 characters and no non-ascii characters? Dates and times correct?

Sorry :(

Problem client OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 (all others win 7 home x64)

No language packs installed
    name = 13 character (no numbers) 12 letters with 1 hyphen xxxxxx-xxxxxx (all connected are same format letters with1 hyphen)
    Date/time is correct on all machines (within a few seconds I am sure)

Remote desktop: config, services, services usermode port redirector = started

I use RDP daily to talk with 8 remote servers I own and to get into the local WHS server (all from the problem client machine).

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 4:22 PM
  • This is still an ongoing issue on one of the workstations on the network.

All computers, except one, connect and back up successfully daily.  One computer refuses to go though the set up wizard to install the connector software. It has been attached for a couple of years (since WHS 2011 came out) but lost the connection a few months ago.  After removing/uninstalling the connector it refuses to reinstall it  again  All computers on the network are running windows 7 x64.  All except 1 connect and install the backup client.

The computer that does not install the remote backup software sees the backup server via the network portion of windows explorer and can read/write files through windows explorer and other software.  It can also connect to the backup server via RDP.

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Still unable to install.  Same error message.

I did find a reference to WHS 2011 in the registry and removed it but still fails.

Going on 6 months now.

Should I just reformat the WHS machine and this desktop?  I hate to lose years worth of backups but it is little more than a box of rocks now.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:11 PM
  • As your other client PC's can connect and backup, I wouldn't touch the WHS server for now.

I've seen a similar error message when trying to install the connector and it was caused by a .NET framework issue. Microsoft have a tool for checking and fixing your .NET environment ( http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135 )

If this doesn't help then reformat and re-install the problematic desktop but give it another name just in case it would interfere with the old name on the server.

Good luck.

Luc.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:09 AM