SyncServices between database and client application? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just learning about SyncServices, we've implemented something ourselves using ServiceBroker which may beredundant and I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Here is what we currently have:

We use service broker to distribute changes to our database to our client applications. These applications are not databases themselves, i.e. they start up and request a set of data from our database along with updates. They cache the data, and get messages whenever the tables on the server are updated. These messages have the updated records, they are not messages which just tell the client that it has to reload. It's more like replication, but to in memory data structures.

Does SyncServices do this? i.e. using sync services, can a client application make a request like "select ClientID, ClientName, ClientAddress, ClientOwnerID FROM t_clients WHERE ClientOwnerID = 1" and get the list of client records, and then callbacks anytime any of those records change?

We are considering to start adding functionality to our implementation, but if this is the kind of technology that already exists, I'd rather move to a platform that MS is going to support.

If this can be done usnig SyncServices, can someone point me to an example?

Thursday, May 13, 2010 9:32 PM

Answers

• Sync Fx works around the concepts of providers at each end-point. These providers encapsulates how to connect/access the sources and destination of data, do change tracking, change enumeration and change application.

So in your case, if you're using SQL Express/Server on the database side, there are out-of-the-box providers for it. However, you may have to build one for your client side.

Also, Sync Fx synchronization has to be explicitly initiated to detect/retrieve/apply changes and not via call back notifications.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:10 PM

All replies

• Sync Fx works around the concepts of providers at each end-point. These providers encapsulates how to connect/access the sources and destination of data, do change tracking, change enumeration and change application.

So in your case, if you're using SQL Express/Server on the database side, there are out-of-the-box providers for it. However, you may have to build one for your client side.

Also, Sync Fx synchronization has to be explicitly initiated to detect/retrieve/apply changes and not via call back notifications.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Is there a sample showing a custom provider working with a SQL server provider on the other side? This technology seems like it is doing exactly what we want, but I haven't been able to find any good samples.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 2:28 PM
  • you can find most of the Sync Fx samples here: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/sync
    Friday, May 14, 2010 3:46 PM