Cant Install Back-Up To Toshiba Laptop "BOOTMGR is Missing" Windows 7 RC1 RRS feed

• Question

• I had to put Vista back on my laptop to satisfy Toshiba's Tech Support to try to fix a problem. Not a big deal as I had numerous back-ups plus the Manual back-up of the "Fresh Install". When I went to put 7 back on, from back up, I couldnt as the drivers for the NIC werent there. Not being able to find my USB key, I was stuck. Extremely pissed off, I dealt with it.

A month later I found the USB key. Also the problem that I was blaming Toshiba for ended up being my Linksys Router, thats another story. So today being bored I decided to try to install my back-up on Win7. I put the drivers on the USB key and this time I was able to find the server. When it asked which back-up I wanted to restore, I selected "Fresh Install". Then for the volumes, there were two: System Volume, and some other 100mb one. I selected the system volume and began restoring. After completion it restarted and the message "BOOTMGR is Missing" came up. I rebooted back to the restore disc this time I split up the hard disc to install the 100mb portion on a smaller partition. Still no luck same message.

What am I suppose to do now?

Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:23 PM

All replies

• I had to put Vista back on my laptop to satisfy Toshiba's Tech Support to try to fix a problem. Not a big deal as I had numerous back-ups plus the Manual back-up of the "Fresh Install". When I went to put 7 back on, from back up, I couldnt as the drivers for the NIC werent there. Not being able to find my USB key, I was stuck. Extremely pissed off, I dealt with it.

A month later I found the USB key. Also the problem that I was blaming Toshiba for ended up being my Linksys Router, thats another story. So today being bored I decided to try to install my back-up on Win7. I put the drivers on the USB key and this time I was able to find the server. When it asked which back-up I wanted to restore, I selected "Fresh Install". Then for the volumes, there were two: System Volume, and some other 100mb one. I selected the system volume and began restoring. After completion it restarted and the message "BOOTMGR is Missing" came up. I rebooted back to the restore disc this time I split up the hard disc to install the 100mb portion on a smaller partition. Still no luck same message.

What am I suppose to do now?

You could try doing a repair install from your Win7 DVD.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 11:03 PM
  • ...I rebooted back to the restore disc this time I split up the hard disc to install the 100mb portion on a smaller partition. Still no luck same message...
    A repair install will probably fix it, but I'm curious.

The 100 MB volume contains the files needed to boot Windows 7. When you did the above step did you restore ONLY the 100 MB Windows 7 boot partition? If so, repeat the restore but this time restore both partitions. WHS Restore seems to have enough smarts to fix the BCD so that the system will boot.

I did a little "stress testing" on this last week by playing with WHS Restore. I could rearrange partition locations on the disk and then restore, and WHS Restore always adjusted the entries in the BCD and fixed the drive letters automatically.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Yeah I tried that too, but the problem is, is that I have to format the partition in order for it to recognize the empty volume. Doing this gave it a "G" for a drive letter. Pointing the 100mb portion to that partition still gave the same message.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:28 AM
  • You could try doing a repair install from your Win7 DVD.

Why should I have to do that? I shouldnt have to jump through hoops to get it to do its main feature!

This is the problem with WHS. Its such a good idea, but its implementation is pi$$ poor

I am restoring a backup from the server that is creating the backup. The server should be restoring what is needed to return the computer to the state that it was when it created the backup. Call me crazy, but isnt that the point? I could understand if I was trying to back up a Mac or Linux, but Jesus, these are 2 OS created by the same company. A little communication between teams would help. 

Monday, September 14, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Yeah I tried that too, but the problem is, is that I have to format the partition in order for it to recognize the empty volume. Doing this gave it a "G" for a drive letter. Pointing the 100mb portion to that partition still gave the same message.
    When you created the boot partition did you make it active?

The drive letters should resolve when doing the restore. At least they did in my tests.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Why should I have to do that? I shouldnt have to jump through hoops to get it to do its main feature!

This is the problem with WHS. Its such a good idea, but its implementation is pi$$ poor

I am restoring a backup from the server that is creating the backup. The server should be restoring what is needed to return the computer to the state that it was when it created the backup. Call me crazy, but isnt that the point? I could understand if I was trying to back up a Mac or Linux, but Jesus, these are 2 OS created by the same company. A little communication between teams would help. 

I did several test restores (including the 100 MB System Restore partition) using 7 RC and they always worked for me.  Maybe there is a problem with your hard drive.  You could try running chkdsk /r on it and see if it finds any errors.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:31 AM
    When you created the boot partition did you make it active?

The drive letters should resolve when doing the restore. At least they did in my tests.
    Im not sure if I made it active, and I didnt make it a boot partition either. I just made a simple partition.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:46 AM
  • I dont think theres a problem as I reinstalled win7 on 64 this time. Although I still think the same problem will happen.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Im not sure if I made it active, and I didnt make it a boot partition either. I just made a simple partition.
    By "boot partition" I was referring to the 100 MB partition that you created for the Windows 7 boot files.

If you did not make it an Active partition then that could explain the error message that you saw. The Windows 7 partition was probably active, and when you attempted to boot, the file bootmgr could not be located because it was on the other partition.

You should be OK next time if you reinstall to the existing partitions. If not and you create new partitions, just be sure to make the small 100 MB partition active.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:32 AM