How to deactivate a CRM user account and license RRS feed

• Question

• We have a team member leaving our organization.  I would like to deactivate their CRM user account and drop from paying 3 licensing fees to 2 in our small organization.  

If I do this, wil the CRM records created & maintained by the retiring user be affected?  

What are the proper steps to go about doing this?  When I go to deactivate the user, Microsoft online tells me that data will be lost.  

Also, after deactivating, how do I also downgrade from 3 licenses to 2?

Thank you for any assistance.

S.

sPurkiss

Monday, July 7, 2014 4:12 PM

All replies

• I assume you are removing the user's license from within the O365 admin area, correct?

That is the correct procedure. I have not seen any data deleted as a result of this, I believe it is a generic message for removing a license (eg. removing an exchange license would remove the user's mailbox and all data).

Since users cannot be deleted from CRM, the user becomes inactive though maintains ownership of all of their owned records.

-James

• Proposed as answer by Ryan Telesca Thursday, July 24, 2014 3:46 PM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 7:02 PM
  • Thanks James,

Yes, this is in the O365 admin area. I was able to de-allocate the license and then change my licenses from 2 to 3.  Thanks for the confirmation.

sPurkiss

Monday, July 7, 2014 7:41 PM