Unclear about Windows 7 Libraries intergration. Can't I already do this pre PP3 ? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Libraries
    Power Pack 3 Beta will add Music, Photos and Videos shared folders on the home server to Windows 7 Libraries making the content available for applications such as Windows Explorer, Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player and other applications that use Windows 7 Libraries. This allows users to quickly access all their content in one organized place that is always available, searchable and expandable. Users can also search a specific library without having to know where the files are stored.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• I don't follow, when I open Music,Pictures,Videos Libraries, can't I add the WHS shares to locations ? And set them as default locations ? What's the difference ?

It's easier with PP3 (the locations get added to the library automatically)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dieharder Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:21 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:03 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 Libraries
    Power Pack 3 Beta will add Music, Photos and Videos shared folders on the home server to Windows 7 Libraries making the content available for applications such as Windows Explorer, Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player and other applications that use Windows 7 Libraries. This allows users to quickly access all their content in one organized place that is always available, searchable and expandable. Users can also search a specific library without having to know where the files are stored.

No.  Open Libraries on 7 without PP3 and you won't see anything stored on WHS.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:47 PM
  • I don't follow, when I open Music,Pictures,Videos Libraries, can't I add the WHS shares to locations ? And set them as default locations ? What's the difference ?

Saturday, July 18, 2009 6:55 PM

It's easier with PP3 (the locations get added to the library automatically)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dieharder Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:21 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:03 PM
  • What's the point of Library Integration?  It's easy enough on the desktop--and for those who like a clean desktop it can be pinnedto the task bar or moved to the Library folder.  I know it sounds negative, but why not give more attention to function and less to form?  By the way, I am grateful to the entire WHS team; I couldn't rest without my WHS system server.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:41 PM
  • What's the point of Library Integration?  It's easy enough on the desktop--and for those who like a clean desktop it can be pinnedto the task bar or moved to the Library folder.  I know it sounds negative, but why not give more attention to function and less to form?  By the way, I am grateful to the entire WHS team; I couldn't rest without my WHS system server.

Just a theory on my part, but my guess is it's automatic (meaning the average non-technical user, which is the target audience of this product, doesn't have to try to figure out how to add locations to Libraries).
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:47 PM
  • You have a very bad attitude.  The writer was simply stating an opinion, and he wasn't rude, either.  You are very rude!  Why don't YOU leave the forum, if you can't handle the opinions of others.  Beta testers get paid nothing for the effort they make--and they are expected to offer opinions.  They are very valuable to Microsoft.  I've noticed in the past that your tongue is always too sharp on the forums.  Learn some manners and respect for the views of others.  Disagree if you'd like, but choose your words carefully. In other words, don't insult us! 
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 2:02 AM