XP recovery software RRS feed

• Question

• I bought an Averatec 4100 last month. The harddisk was dead. POST wouldn't recognize it. I replaced the disk. (the operating system was located in the Phenoix Recovery partition, which can't be accessed with a dead drive.) I tried to get the operating system recovery CD from Averatecs support department, but they said I have to send the laptop in so that they could load the operating system.

The COA on the bottom of this machine is a license for WinXP Home.  I would be glad to give you the serial # of the machine, and key code. It seems ludicrous that I need to send this machine in, just to load the operating system that I have a license for. Not to mention the cost!

How do I recover my licensed software without having to buy another operating system? The cost of shipping and recovery procedures at Averatec exceed the cost of buying another XP Home OS.

It would cost Averatec only a few dollars to ship recovery disks with their PC's, but they don't.

What about all of the other users out there that have the recovery partition on their HD. When their HD fails they are going to be upset, to say the least.

Microsoft should not license the software to an OEM unless they provide recovery CD's.

I know that the logical solution would be to backup the system as soon as they get it, but that rarely happens.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:36 AM

Answers

• Thurman677,

Since summer 2005, MS has required that major manufacturers who do not supply a Recovery or Reinstallation CD with the purchase of a new computer provide a utility that can be run by the user to generate or make a set of recovery CDs/DVDs.

In your case, you can try to borrow a genuine MS systembuilder/OEM CD for XP Home and use it along with the Product Key on the laptop's CoA to install XP Home.  After installation, run the activation wizard and choose the option to activate by telephone.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 3:22 AM

All replies

• Thurman677,

Since summer 2005, MS has required that major manufacturers who do not supply a Recovery or Reinstallation CD with the purchase of a new computer provide a utility that can be run by the user to generate or make a set of recovery CDs/DVDs.

In your case, you can try to borrow a genuine MS systembuilder/OEM CD for XP Home and use it along with the Product Key on the laptop's CoA to install XP Home.  After installation, run the activation wizard and choose the option to activate by telephone.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 3:22 AM
  • Thanks for the help, Dan, but I have no idea who would have a systembuilder/OEM CD in my area. So the only solution to get my operating system back is to send the laptop back to the factory. Microsoft seems to be linking the OS to the hardware, and when the hardware crashes, without a backup, they get to sell another OS. If the licensee of the software decides to send the machine back, then Averatec gets rewarded for not including recovery CD's.

The user that has a legal license for the OS has a new expense that they didn't have before this 'recover partition' BS.

I would hope that Microsoft felt an obligation to to find a cost free solution to this particular problem, but that probabily won't happen. They should require an OEM to supply the user with a recovery CD that would work with the COA tagged to their machine, if the harddisk crashes, and a a reasonable cost.(shipping/handeling cost only). Averatec apparentily has enough confidence in their harddisks to place the recovery OS on it, so they would only have to send out a few CD's each year.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 5:50 PM