migrating from whs 1 to vail (eventually) RRS feed

• Question

• Just starting off with WHS v1 but know I will migrate to Vail/v2 when commercially available. My WHS computer has a single 1 TB hard drive (SATA); it is a 64 bit platform. The installation software partitioned it into a 40GB system drive and a 940 GB data drive. I assume when "upgrading" from v1 (32bit) to v2 (64 bit) will require reformat and installation of that drive and so all backed up data will be erased.

1. Should I go ahead and add some external drives and use them for the D drive so that the transition is seamless?

2. I was planning on purchasing an eSATA PCI controller so that I could then add eSATA drives. Any recommendations on controllers or eSATA drives/companies. I have had problems w/Western Digital and was thinking Seagate or LaCie.

Thanks.

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:52 PM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:12 PM

Answers

• Just starting off with WHS v1 but know I will migrate to Vail/v2 when commercially available. My WHS computer has a single 1 TB hard drive (SATA); it is a 64 bit platform. The installation software partitioned it into a 40GB system drive and a 940 GB data drive. 
    Actually, the OS partition is 20 GB (not 40).  
    I assume when "upgrading" from v1 (32bit) to v2 (64 bit) will require reformat and installation of that drive and so all backed up data will be erased.

MS has not said anything, but I would be absolutely shocked if there is any way of moving from v1 to Vail RTM other than a fresh install of Vail (which means everything gets formatted). 

1. Should I go ahead and add some external drives and use them for the D drive so that the transition is seamless?

I doubt it will help as you will probably have to copy everything from v1 to Vail anyway. 

2. I was planning on purchasing an eSATA PCI controller so that I could then add eSATA drives. Any recommendations on controllers or eSATA drives/companies. I have had problems w/Western Digital and was thinking Seagate or LaCie.

Thanks.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:33 PM

All replies

•  On 7/10/2010 12:12 PM, dlazenby wrote:

Just starting off with WHS v1 but know I will migrate to Vail/v2 when commercially available. My WHS computer has a single 1 TB hard drive (SATA); it is a 64 bit platform. The installation software partitioned it into a 40GB system drive and a 940 GB data drive. I assume when "upgrading" from v1 (32bit) to v2 (64 bit) will require reformat and installation of that drive and so all backed up data will be erased.

2. I was planning on purchasing an eSATA PCI controller so that I could then add eSATA drives. Any recommendations on controllers or eSATA drives/companies. I have had problems w/Western Digital and was thinking Seagate or LaCie.

Thanks.

My personal recommendation (and others will have better options) would be to buy enough external drives to cover your data (if you only have 940 GB of data when you're ready to upgrade, you only need a 1TB drive), and manually copy the data from the WHS Shares to the external drive.  Then do your upgrade, and copy the data back after you're finished.  (Plus, you can then add the external drive to your storage pool).

The understanding I've gotten is that the data drives aren't going to be compatible.  So, you have to migrate the data to another system (or external drives) and migrate it back when you've upgraded (or keep the v1 server and have a separate system running v2 when it comes out).  This also holds true when going from the "Vail" beta to the released version of Windows Home Server v2.0 -- although you won't be able to continue running the beta version.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Just starting off with WHS v1 but know I will migrate to Vail/v2 when commercially available. My WHS computer has a single 1 TB hard drive (SATA); it is a 64 bit platform. The installation software partitioned it into a 40GB system drive and a 940 GB data drive. 
    Actually, the OS partition is 20 GB (not 40).  
    I assume when "upgrading" from v1 (32bit) to v2 (64 bit) will require reformat and installation of that drive and so all backed up data will be erased.

MS has not said anything, but I would be absolutely shocked if there is any way of moving from v1 to Vail RTM other than a fresh install of Vail (which means everything gets formatted). 

I doubt it will help as you will probably have to copy everything from v1 to Vail anyway. 

Thanks.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Thanks Patrick and kariya21,

Any recommendations for any particular external drives/setups/configurations/companies?

Saturday, July 10, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Very disappointed if a 'home' product does not supply an upgrade/migration utility.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:20 AM
  • This (migrating your data from V1 to Vail) is an extremely hard problem to solve in an automated fashion. Some shares that used to exist in V1 no longer exist: what happens to that data? Other shares don't exist in V1, but do in V2. What (if anything) gets moved to them? What about user created shares? Maybe some of that data should go in the new shares, maybe not? Is there other useful information on the V1 server? There could be, if add-ins that store user data rather than configuration information in application folders were installed. How should that be treated?

Users will complain about having to do it by hand, but at the end of the day they'll be satisfied with where their data is stored. If an automated tool makes a hash of someone's carefully planned storage, I guarantee they'll scream bloody murder. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:53 PM
  • What about the backup option on WHS v1?  I currently have my system with 6TB of attached storage, most of the folders have duplication turned on.  I have a couple of folders that I want protected off site so I use the backup option to back them up to an external 2.5" and store them in a safe deposit box.  Couldn't I back up all my files to a couple of external drives, reformat for Vail and then restore from these drives?  I also have like 5 computers in the house, so I thought I could copy some of the folders over the network to their respective hard drives long enough to reinstall.  Then I would simply copy them back.

If I am way out in left field I'd like to know before I destroy several TB of data...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Silador,

That is basically it - backup all your v1 data to usb drives or other network resources, blow away your v1 box and then install v2.  Restore.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:31 PM