Import of customization on working production server (crm 4) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ppl,
    I have a production server with crm 4.0.

When i import to it a customization file in which a data type of one the attributes of one of the custom entities changed, the import fails.

For example, lets say i have an entity testEntity and it has an attribute testAttribute which on the live production server has data type of integer. In the customization file which is imported(exported from development server) the data type is string (because we decided it should be changed to string). Now the import fails.

What should i do in such a case? I know i can delete the attribute manually and then import but i don't want to remember each change i make in the developement server(i make a lot)  and then implement it manually in the production server.

Another solution ofcourse would be to delete evertyhing from the production server and start from a completley blank crm with no customizations every time and then the import works (but i do not want the actual data from the production server to be lost).(
    How do YOU change schemas of data without losing the actual data in the crm tables?)(Maybe a solution to this would be to somehow export all data from crm, then delete all crm data, then import customizations and then import all crm data. can it be done? if so,how?)

Is there a solution to my problem?

Hope you understood,

Thanks

Aaron
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:40 PM

Answers

• I'd say your best practice would be to always create a new attribute (with a new schema name), rather than deleting the existing attribute and replacing it with one of the same name, but different data types.

In addition to avoiding the import problem you describe, if you avoid changing the data type of an attribute you avoid potential problems with any custom code that refers to the attribute and expects it to be of a certain data type

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:29 AM

All replies

• Importing/exporting customization and deployement is a complex issue in CRM. I recomment you to keep log of all your changes and do it manually at production system if a conflicts appears.

Like in case of attribute type change, you need to delete the attribute at Production system and hence the attribute data will be deleted. So i usually, create the new attribute and then try to use SQL Query to copy existing data to new attribute and then delete the attribute. In this way the data will be saved. But it can be complex process in case of lookups and picklists. 

Please do it in a batch and do a full organization backup before new rollup.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:31 AM
  • I'd say your best practice would be to always create a new attribute (with a new schema name), rather than deleting the existing attribute and replacing it with one of the same name, but different data types.

In addition to avoiding the import problem you describe, if you avoid changing the data type of an attribute you avoid potential problems with any custom code that refers to the attribute and expects it to be of a certain data type

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:29 AM
  •  Ayaz Ahmad [MVP MSCRM] wrote:

Importing/exporting customization and deployement is a complex issue in CRM. I recomment you to keep log of all your changes and do it manually at production system if a conflicts appears.

Like in case of attribute type change, you need to delete the attribute at Production system and hence the attribute data will be deleted. So i usually, create the new attribute and then try to use SQL Query to copy existing data to new attribute and then delete the attribute. In this way the data will be saved. But it can be complex process in case of lookups and picklists. 

Please do it in a batch and do a full organization backup before new rollup.

ayaz, i do not need to save the data of the old attribute(column).
    I was talking about saving ALL crm data somehow by exporting ALL data of all entities, then starting with a clean and empty crm system, then importing customizations(it cannot fail because its importing on a clean system) and then importing all data to crm again. I know it is a complex idea. do you think it is worth it?
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:03 AM