Home Server Smart says Brand New Hdd Is Failing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem, my orignal 500gb hdds were failing, so today I purchased a new 2tb samsung sata 2 hdd to replace all of my 500gbs except for the main os drive. The problem is when I boot into the os and go to the dashboard it comes up with a problem, when I look to see what it is, it says the new 2tb is failing, so when I go onto Home Server SMART to see what the problem is, it says it has 80xx crc errors. Could this be a faulty hdd or could HSS be wrong at predictig the SMART of the drive. At the moment I am still using WHS V1 on a Gigabyte MA74GM-SH2 motherboard, AMD AM3 X2 4050e 2.2GHz Proc, 2gb Corsair XMS2 Ram, 525w PSU 1x500gb sata2 hdd for OS drive 1x2tb Sata 2 hdd for data.

HMG
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:35 PM

Answers

• its ok, it was the Home server smart addin, the beta was showing it as failing, I have removed it and put a official one on and it comes up with no errors. Also i would use WHS2011 if it wasn't for the fact that I need Drive Extender as I have all my dvd and hd's ripped on and I do not want movies1 and movies2 etc. I do not trust beta addins like drive bender, so until an official one comes out I will have to stay with V1
    HMG
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:50 PM

All replies

• I have no experience of Samsung drives, but is it an advanced format drive? I have Western Digital advanced format drives and you need to apply a jumper for older OSs - no problem with WHS2011 though.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 3:22 PM
  • its ok, it was the Home server smart addin, the beta was showing it as failing, I have removed it and put a official one on and it comes up with no errors. Also i would use WHS2011 if it wasn't for the fact that I need Drive Extender as I have all my dvd and hd's ripped on and I do not want movies1 and movies2 etc. I do not trust beta addins like drive bender, so until an official one comes out I will have to stay with V1
    HMG
    Monday, May 23, 2011 4:50 PM