CRM 2011 server installation fails at WIF install RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install a CRM 2011 system for learning purposes at the moment and I am failing at the first step! It won't install.

When I attempt to install CRM 2011 server it identifies a number of prerequisites and attempts to install those. Net framework, Error reporting, Azure, SQL reporting and SQL client all install with no problems but the Windows Identity Foundation i nstallation fails with the error message "Unknown exit code 2149842967"

If I attempt to install WIF directly from the available files on the CRM installation media then I get either "The update is not applicable to your computer" or "KB974405 Setup cannot update a checked (debug) system with a free (retail) version of KB974405, or vice versa.". The former message is from the installer I would expect to use (Windows6.1-KB974405-x64) and the latter from one I would not expect to use (Windows5.2-KB974405-x64).

I am running this system from a pair of machines under Hyper V. Both machines are running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise (not the core version). One is installed as a domain controller. The second is a member of the same domain and is the machine to which I am attempting to install CRM.

Everything I have googled for so far on this either seems to suggest that I "need to install the WIF", which is not particularly helpful or that I am trying to install WIF on a core edition server which I am not or refers to client installations on other OS.

So what am I missing here?

(Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer here)

Friday, November 9, 2012 11:52 AM

Answers

• Solved it.

MS's interpretation of the CRM prerequisistes is not entirely accurate! According to microsft CRM2011 is supposed to run on Windows 2008 R2 but that is not quite true; if you run on Windows 2008 R2 _with_ the debug or checked versions then CRM2011 will not install from the microsft standard installer. It fails the prerequisites installation phase with the error message "Unknown exit code 2149842967". Rather curiously if you deliberately run the wrong installer for your OS you get the correct error message. An error message which I of course ignored precisely because I knew I was running the wrong installer.

There may be somewhere this is documented but I couldn't see it and at first glance it was not obvious that the OS was a debug / checked version as without a very close examination they look identical. So the solution is scrap everything and reinstall the OS using a non debug version (fortunately this was a newly built machine). I could probably have installed the WIF from a source that was compatible with the debug version of win 2008 but it was quicker for me to leave the OS install running rather than hunt for such a version of WIF and having seen one cryptic error due to OS version I didn't want to risk more similar issues further down the line.

• Marked as answer by J N Brand Monday, November 12, 2012 11:07 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 10:13 AM

All replies

• please try installing latest WIF from microsoft download site and try

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17331

- Vijay

Friday, November 9, 2012 12:03 PM
  • Been there, done that, it doesn't work :-( All available versions just give me the same "The update is not applicable to your computer" message.

• Edited by J N Brand Friday, November 9, 2012 12:06 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2012 12:06 PM
  • wif runtime requires .net 3.5 framework to be installed. try installing .net 3.5 framework then WIF

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17331

- Vijay

Friday, November 9, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Already installed as part of the successful part of the CRM install so that's not it ;-(
    Friday, November 9, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Solved it.

MS's interpretation of the CRM prerequisistes is not entirely accurate! According to microsft CRM2011 is supposed to run on Windows 2008 R2 but that is not quite true; if you run on Windows 2008 R2 _with_ the debug or checked versions then CRM2011 will not install from the microsft standard installer. It fails the prerequisites installation phase with the error message "Unknown exit code 2149842967". Rather curiously if you deliberately run the wrong installer for your OS you get the correct error message. An error message which I of course ignored precisely because I knew I was running the wrong installer.

There may be somewhere this is documented but I couldn't see it and at first glance it was not obvious that the OS was a debug / checked version as without a very close examination they look identical. So the solution is scrap everything and reinstall the OS using a non debug version (fortunately this was a newly built machine). I could probably have installed the WIF from a source that was compatible with the debug version of win 2008 but it was quicker for me to leave the OS install running rather than hunt for such a version of WIF and having seen one cryptic error due to OS version I didn't want to risk more similar issues further down the line.

• Marked as answer by J N Brand Monday, November 12, 2012 11:07 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 10:13 AM