EX470 networking: fast writes(11MB/s) very slow reads (500 KB/s) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've spent several weeks trying to track down this problem but at this point I don't know what else to try. I have a 100MB network. When I copy a big file to my WHS I get around 11 MB/s which is fine. However when I try to copy that very same file from the WHS to any PC I only get around 500 KB/s.

As you can imagine opening video files or even watching photos is almost impossible.

What I've checked:

- PC network cards are just fine. Transfers between PC's are OK.
    - WHS network drivers are up to date. It uses SIS 191 and version number is 2.0.1039.1110 03/03/2008
    - I've tried different configurations of "Flow Control" but none made any difference
    - Changed the network cable and plugged it in different ports

What I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I've spent several weeks trying to track down this problem but at this point I don't know what else to try. I have a 100MB network. When I copy a big file to my WHS I get around 11 MB/s which is fine. However when I try to copy that very same file from the WHS to any PC I only get around 500 KB/s.

As you can imagine opening video files or even watching photos is almost impossible.

What I've checked:

- PC network cards are just fine. Transfers between PC's are OK.
    - WHS network drivers are up to date. It uses SIS 191 and version number is 2.0.1039.1110 03/03/2008
    - I've tried different configurations of "Flow Control" but none made any difference
    - Changed the network cable and plugged it in different ports

What I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance.
    First, have you tried contacting HP for assistance?  You could always do a Server Recovery to revert it back to how it was when you first bought it.  Also, the RAM in the EX47x is not enough if you have anything else running on it (including any add-ins HP gives you).  If nothing else, you could logon to the server desktop (which is unsupported) and see what Task Manager shows during the copy process (to see if there is something else running that might be bogging it down).
    Friday, September 25, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Hi,

I have not contacted HP yet; to be honest I don't think it's a hardware problem. Reinstalling the server is an option but I'd like to avoid it if possible. The server has 2 GB of RAM so no problems here.

This are the result of iperf:

From a PC to WHS

Server listening on TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 8.00 KByte (default)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [1864] local 192.168.2.103 port 5001 connected with 192.168.2.105 port 62441
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [1864]  0.0-10.0 sec  74.2 MBytes  62.2 Mbits/sec

From WHS to PC

Client connecting to 192.168.2.105, TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 8.00 KByte (default)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [1884] local 192.168.2.103 port 3166 connected with 192.168.2.105 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [1884]  0.0-10.2 sec  5.16 MBytes  4.23 Mbits/sec

It's pretty strange that the problem occurs only in one direction, don't you agree? Any other idea?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I've tried a crossed network cable and the numbers I've gotten are reasonable. Does this mean that the router/switch is the culprit? If so, why it only affects transfers with the WHS and not between other computers? I'll try to get a new switch and see what happens.
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:36 PM
  • What you can/should try:
    - Use another port on your switch, maybe the one is faulty
    - Replace network cable between WHS and switch

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Martin, thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately I've already tried both with no luck. It's a very strange problem because transfers between other PC's (using any port and cables) work fine.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:21 AM