backup RRS feed

• Question

• how do I get backup to stop trying to backup my computer when I want a backup I will do it I do not want the computer to remind me at all?

Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:26 PM

Answers

• Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:43 PM

All replies

• Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:43 PM
  •  dedwin wrote:

how do I get backup to stop trying to backup my computer when I want a backup I will do it I do not want the computer to remind me at all?

My sons computer does not have burner.

is there any other way i can back up files

Thursday, May 1, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Hello, Bob.

Yes, there are other options.

Is your son's PC connected to your home network that also has one or more other computers on it, all sharing the same high speed Internet connection through a router? If so, you can use the OneCare Centralized backup feature to configure backup to use a network Share on any other computer in the network. Of course, the computer that hosts the Share will need to be powered on when backup runs on your son's PC. If you go to Help in OneCare, and click "Show more topics" you will get the Instant Help site in your web browser. In the search box on Instant Help, type Centralized Backup and you'll get instructions on how to configure this.

Alternatively, you can purchase an inexpensive external hard drive for his PC. They can be found for well under US$100 with quite a bit of capacity. OneCare can use that drive to backup to.

You can also purchase an external USB CD or DVD burner. While a little more expensive than an internal drive, it can be attached and configured wthout the need to open the PC. If you can open the PC or know someone who can do this for you, an internal burner is an easy addition to a PC and is probably the cheapest option.

And, finally, you can choose to disable backup on your son's computer and OneCare will go to green status. Of course, this means that you will not have any of his data backed up. My personal recommendation is the external USB hard drive.

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 4:29 PM