Windows Home Server and Windows 7 error RRS feed

• Question

• I was able to map drives to my home server on Win 7 but then after rebooting i get the error messege: \\server is not available. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to see if you have access permissions. The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged onto.

The account is not logged out it's the admin account. I can log into WHS from Win 7 by Remote Desktop but I cannot acess ANYTHING with a UNC path. It works fine on my Windows XP machine.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:49 AM

All replies

• Did you set up a user account on the server that matches the login on your Win7 machine?  When you synch the passwords, that allows the Win7 machine to access the appropriate user account resources on the server.

Either that, or enable the guest account on the server, that'll let anyone use server resources without logging in.  I don't recommend that unless your home network is locked down pretty tight...
    files are shared, workstations are backed up (and occasionally restored) and life goes on...
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:54 AM
  • No way would I enable the guest account. One account is My name and the other is Administrator. Also, Windows XP has NO problems, just promtps me for network credentials.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:56 AM
  • It says the account is LOCKED out, not logged out.

You need to log onto the server as administrator and unlock the user account. Not sure if you can do this from the console, or if you need to use the users/groups MMC to do this.

Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:50 PM
  • As a Windows Server 2003 Administrator, I can ASSURE you that the account is not locked out. It is the ADMINISTRATOR account. I can access it via UNC on every other computer I have. Also, Connector is not on them either. I do not use the Connector as I just access everything via mapped drives.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:05 PM