WLOC and other Programmes don't work RRS feed

• Question

• Still unable to rectify the other computer as unable to access the following:-
    a)   Control Panel opens but does not show any details therefore unable to try and uninstall OneCare(WLOC) as recommended in some of the forum replies which I have read on another computer.
    b)   The Acer Empowering Technology (AET) that comes with this computer also unable to use most of the function.
    c)   There is no WLOC Icon on the taskbar and also also unable to have internet connection.
    d)   Unable to see what is the OneCare Product ID of problematic computer because cannot access WLOC to see, therefore how can I uninstall and reinstall without the Product ID that are required ( I still have the WLOC Disk purchased from retail store).

Today, I try the computer but putting to Safe Mode, then disable OneCare from Startup and restarted the computer. After restarting, I can now access the Control Panel, able to see WLOC but darenot uninstall until seeking further advice from you. The (AET) and internet still unable to access.

Please help.

Desmond YK
    Friday, February 8, 2008 1:19 AM

Answers

• Dear Steve,

My apology for this late reply.

Have tried many time but not so easy due to no internet connection to download cleanup tools and not able to transfer from thumbdrive also.

Finally, tried the method of using system restore and went back a  date around early January 2008. After that I tried also uninstalling what ever downloaded games during those week.

Restarted the computer and guess what? All the problems are solved and internet connection came back. It seems that all the while, it was actually those games' update that causes the problems because of non-compatibility with Window Vista.

Really appreciates your kind assistance rendered and also to let others to know that it is not always OneCare's update that causes these problem but my experience recently shows that games like "MapleStory" are causing it too.

Best Regards,

Desmond.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:52 AM

All replies

• I would recommend uninstalling the Acer software as it generally causes more problems than it helps. It conflicts with many programs. That may actually allow you to proceed.

If you need to reinstall OneCare, and have the retail key, OneCare support can tell you the LiveID for your subscription to activate again. You don't need the product ID, you need the LiveID. If OneCare is on another PC, the LiveID can be found under Help/About listed as the Subscription ID.

If you can't uninstall OneCare from control panel, you can use the cleanup tool - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Dear Steve,

Just for your info, I have another 2 computers having Acer Empowering Technology together with WLOC and so far no conflicts.

Will try out your recommended method and because the problematic computer unable to connect to internet, I have to download it to another computer and transfer it to cleanup the computer if I am able to uninstall it.

Will post the outcome when I am done.

Thanks.

Desmond.

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:34 AM
  • Perhaps the latest versions of the Acer utilities work a little better. If they are working with OneCare for you, that's all that matters.

Of course the problematic PC is a different story.

Can you tell me more about the history of OneCare on that PC? Did it just start having problems with the latest update? Did that cause the loss of network connectivity? Did that cause the Control Panel issue?

Or was it a new install of OneCare that went wrong?

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Dear Steve,

I am not to sure, should be OneCare update in January that causes loss of network connectivity, Control Panel issue, Acer Empowering Technology.

When I used "Safe Mode" to manually make OneCare not to Startup and after rebooted, I am then able to see Control Panel/Add or Remove programmes but still unable to open up Services in Administrator and after that I have to use task manager to stop the programme.

Question: If I follow your previous instruction to uninstall, claen and reinstall, without the network connectivity, how am i going to update it (I think I will do it then see what happens if network can connect after reinstalling.)

Desmond.

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:56 AM
  • If the OneCare update has caused the network problem, removing it should be a way to get connectivity back.

Alternatively, perform a System Restore to before you lost the connectivity and before OneCare updated and then run the cleanup tool to remove OneCare before it updates.

Then you can try to reinstall OneCare, since the new version should check for required or conflicting services as part of the install process.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Dear Steve,

Normal bootup Windows operation cannot perform all necessary function like internet conection, download cleaning tools.

I have no choice but to put t to safe mode, manually connect to internet and downloaded cleaning tools.

Restarted the computer, tried to use Add & Remove to uninstall OneCare ( No Way, it hangs). Tried to use the cleaning tools as instructed (It also hangs).

Is it okay to try the cleaning tools in "Safe Mode" since Normal Windows cannot perform as most progammes will "hangs"?

Desmond.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Yes, go ahead and try to use the cleanup tool in Safe Mode.

-steve

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:29 AM
  • Dear Steve,

My apology for this late reply.

Have tried many time but not so easy due to no internet connection to download cleanup tools and not able to transfer from thumbdrive also.

Finally, tried the method of using system restore and went back a  date around early January 2008. After that I tried also uninstalling what ever downloaded games during those week.

Restarted the computer and guess what? All the problems are solved and internet connection came back. It seems that all the while, it was actually those games' update that causes the problems because of non-compatibility with Window Vista.

Really appreciates your kind assistance rendered and also to let others to know that it is not always OneCare's update that causes these problem but my experience recently shows that games like "MapleStory" are causing it too.

Best Regards,

Desmond.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 4:52 AM
  • Thanks for the follow-up, Desmond and you're welcome.

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:21 PM