Received update and now OneCare doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• Just received the update to 2.0 and immediately after restarting  the service will not start. Used all the steps listed in help but they did not help. When started manually, status is red and Onecare list three actions to take. the bottom one in yellow is "review your backup plan" If I click on it it says my subscription has expired. The next one up in red says "update your virus and spyware protection". It also says my subscription has expired. needless to say, my subscription has not expired. Top one says "Go to Help Center" which sends me to a page of useless info.

Great job microsoft for sending out beta software to paying customers.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• I did an uninstall and a reinstall but OneCare will still not run automatically at startup. I have to manually start winss for OneCare to start. Status now shows as green after I start it, but I don't know if I can trust that it is actually working or not. I have two other machines that I dont want to turn on now because I'm worried that this incompletely tested software is going to screw them up as well.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:23 PM
  • Please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I'm sorry to read that you have been hit with a poor update experience and now a problematic OneCare installation.

I would hope that the odds are with you and the other PCs will update without problems.

When you reinstalled, did you run the cleanup tool before installing again? It sounds like your database has been retained from the failed update and is in a bad state right now.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:11 PM
  • I've already contacted support, but they are moving VERY slowly. I imagine they are getting slammed with complaints. I did one uninstall/reinstall as instructed by support and then another uninstall/cleanup/reinstall using the cleanup tool but it didn't make any difference with the staring problem. Its status shows as green now but OneCare won't begin running after booting up without manually starting winss from the command prompt.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:48 PM
  • Yes I agree that they are probably a little busy with issues introduced by the update. I'm hopeful that the causes of these problems are identified quickly and that fixes are made available and solutions published immediately. At this point, I'm pretty much in the dark about most of the issues, too.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:35 PM
  • Well, it's been over a week since my problems started due to this update and nothing has been done. Tech support has not bothered to send even a canned reply since I responded that their hammer approach (uninstall/reinstall) solved nothing. I submitted the support log files in response to the post that they placed in this forum requesting such info and no one has bothered to respond to that either.

Pathetic.

I hope that the person that gave the go ahead to release this steaming pile of inadequately tested code on paying customers loses their job.

If I wanted to put my machines stability at risk by testing beta software I would have signed up for that.

I wonder how many non-tech users (the very people OneCare attempts to appeal to) are completely in the dark about what's suddenly gone wrong with their computers because of the lack of support and testing for this product. If they can't find this forum they'll get no help at all.

Monday, December 10, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Can you post your case ID? I'll have someone follow-up.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:51 AM
  • Case ID SRX 1051657316

Thanks, Steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Thanks, I've forwarded it on for investigation.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Support management advised me that you were sent 3 emails - one daily starting 12/5, but the case was then closed when you didn't respond after 3 attempts. Can you open a new case? Verify your email address for receiving mail from support and check your spam filters/folders. They should respond within 24 hours of your case submission.

-steve
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Please advise support management that they may need to take a look at their email system. Perhaps it isn't up to the strain it's been under lately. I still have a copy of the the reply with the requested zip file that I sent on 12/5 at 10:33am in my Sent Mail flile. I have received no email from them either. I've had nothing show up in my junk email folders, so it's not like I could overlook it. All of my normal email traffic has been arriving.

For what it's worth, I will try to open a new case.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:33 AM
  • If you wish, you can send the support zip file to me and I'll forward it to my support contact to attach to the existing case.

sboots@mvps.org - type "OneCare" in the subject and include a link to this thread in the message body.

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:26 AM
  • Thanks for the offer, but I've opened a new case and it collected a diagnostic file. It took a second try for the file to upload to their server, so maybe that has been getting slammed as well.

You've been far more helpful than anyone working for OneCare.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

I guess I'm one of those non-tech people you're referring to, and this has been a very frustrating experience. After more than a week of virtual computer paralysis, with the CPU running at 100%, I was about to give up and take it to the shop, when it hit me to uninstall OneCare. This worked for the CPU problem, but of course left me unprotected. Now I've reinstalled, with no improvement, and I'm also having the startup problem, i.e. OneCare doesn't start. And I paid for this product! What a farce. I hope Microsoft will deal with these problems soon, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Patrick

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:07 AM
  •  RaymondLuxuryYacht wrote:

Thanks for the offer, but I've opened a new case and it collected a diagnostic file. It took a second try for the file to upload to their server, so maybe that has been getting slammed as well.

You've been far more helpful than anyone working for OneCare.

Thanks again.

I do hope that it can be resolved quickly for you. Please keep us posted and if the support path stalls again, I will most certainly push to escalate the issue.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:09 AM
  •  Jigmay wrote:

Hi,

I guess I'm one of those non-tech people you're referring to, and this has been a very frustrating experience. After more than a week of virtual computer paralysis, with the CPU running at 100%, I was about to give up and take it to the shop, when it hit me to uninstall OneCare. This worked for the CPU problem, but of course left me unprotected. Now I've reinstalled, with no improvement, and I'm also having the startup problem, i.e. OneCare doesn't start. And I paid for this product! What a farce. I hope Microsoft will deal with these problems soon, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Patrick

Patrick, I'm sorry that you've encountered this problem. Have you contacted support? 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

In addition, have a look at this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523170&SiteID=2 - you may not get a response from the team directly, but your logs will be looked at directly by the OneCare developers. It may help identify the cause of the problem.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:11 AM
  • Yesterday for some unknown reason OneCare actually worked as it is supposed to and ran at startup.

I got a response from support to which I replied that the problem had disappeared. Well, of course, today at bootup OneCare failed to start again and I followed the instructions from support to check services (all were running and set to auto) and to uninstall/reinstall. No change.

I have replied to email from support that the problem has returned.

The Windows Live Hotmail email address that is my Live ID for OneCare will not allow me to attach the zip file that was requested. It says that there are too many embedded zip files to scan for viruses. So I had to use an email account supplied by my ISP to send the support log. It seems strange that a Live ID email account that is supposed to work with OneCare won't allow a requested file to be attached.

In any case, the log has been sent. I just hope it doesn't get lost in the system.

The new case ID is SRX 1052279987

Thursday, December 13, 2007 4:29 PM
  • Thanks for the update, sorry that the problem remains, and let me know if support doesn't respond and we'll get someone to follow up.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:44 PM
  • Well, it's been two weeks and no resolution. The email support has been less than worthless since they have not only resolved nothing, they have wasted my time resolving nothing. I've unistalled and reinstalled I don't know how many things at their requests. None of it makes any difference. In fact, I'm more worried that they will do even more damage with all this fixing of things that aren't broken. It should be obvious that the problem is with 2.0, not everyone's computer. Now they say uninstall/reinstall OneCare again, as if they haven't told me to do this four times already. "Support" is nothing but script readers and the people that "engineered" this mess obviously STILL have no idea what they have broken or how to fix it after all this time.

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:09 PM
  • I've asked for your case to be looked into. Sorry once again for the hassles.

-steve

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:33 AM
  • To follow up, apparently the update that was released yesterday to version 2.0.2500.14 fixed the OneCare start up problem. The reply I received from support indicates that they believe the 2.0 update has problems with Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 2007 on SOME machines, as I had it on all three of mine but only one was affected.

Hopefully the OneCare installer has been or will be updated to flag Ad-Aware 2007 for removal by the user before initiating the installation process or any incompatabilty issues the update introduced will be resolved since it is a very popular program.

At their advice I have removed it from all of my computers. It never found anything except cookies that IE7 can clear by itself anyway, but I liked having AdAware and Spybot as backups to help keep everybody on their toes. 

Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:52 AM
  • I'm glad to read that it looks like your startup issue has been resolved. And thanks for the information regarding AdAware I didn't know that there might be a problem unless the AdWatch component was active.

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:48 PM
  • Well, it turns out the problem has NOT been resolved with the .14 update.

I should not have assumed that anything that appears to be fixed by OneCare will actually stay that way without monitoring it closely for at least a week.

OneCare now starts automatically about half the time at startup. Now there are no error messages at all. OneCare just doesn't start and gives no hint at all that it isn't working except for the missing green icon. It can be started manually or a reboot usually causes it to start normally.

Considering the demonstrated abilities of the OneCare team, I don't know that the statements involving AdAware 2007 are true or not. It may have just been a coincidence. If the OneCare installer has not been updated to flag it for removal or if no official announcement has been made, I can only assume it was just another guess on their part.

How hard should it be to make a security program that can start by itself when the computer boots? Especially if you're Microsoft, the program is supposed to run on your own operating system AND you've had many weeks to do so after releasing it on paying customers.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 3:15 PM
  • If you are not getting any warnings, then I suspect that OneCare is running, but winssnotify, the component that displays in the system tray is not running.

At the very least, if OneCare was not running at all, the Windows Security Center would appear and warn you that the firewall, antivirus and antispyware programs were off and that you were unprotected.

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:34 PM
  • I checked the task manager on startup when the green icon failed to appear and winssnotify is running but I can't find any other OneCare process. After I manually start the program OneCare opens, the icon appears and I can then find winnss running.

I contacted support again over a day ago and have heard nothing yet. Do the script readers in India get Christmas off?

This is beyond ridiculous. It's been almost a month and they STILL can't get it right.

Maybe we should begin complaining to some media outlets instead and embarrass Microsoft into bringing enough competent people in to fix all the bugs the way they should have done before this update was released to paying customers. It couldn't be any more of a waste of time than contacting OneCare support. Bad publicity seems to be the only thing that ever moves Microsoft to take real measures.

There is no way that I could recommend OneCare with a clear conscience to anyone with the way this outfit is currently being run.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:24 PM
  • If you provide the case ID, I can have someone investigate why you were not contacted yet.

-steve

Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:56 PM
  • Thanks, but I finally received a reply today. I don't think anything useful will come about until a new version is released. Support can't provide any answers when the software itself is flawed.

Friday, December 28, 2007 3:29 PM
  • It has now been almost five weeks and the issue STILL has not been resolved. OneCare sometimes does not start automatically at bootup. There are no error messages. It has now happened once on my XP laptop as well.

The incompetence of the OneCare team to resolve this problem and many others seen posted in this forum for weeks on end is breathtaking.

I seriously would not be surprised if the next bit of instructions I receive were to tell me to format my drive and reinstall Windows to see if that would work.

I can't believe that Microsoft has the gall to begin releasing this garbage to current customers again. I really pity the new users that are installing OneCare for the first time expecting software that has been tested properly and works.

The damage Microsoft is doing to its reputation is very much deserved.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:30 PM
  • As I asked you last time, if you provide your case ID, I can push to have this escalated. I agree that it is highly unsatisfactory that the problem persists and I certainly understand your anger. The vast majority of reasons for the failure to start and crashes were resolved before updates were resumed. Unfortunately, your system may have one of the issues that are still being worked on.

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:35 PM
  • It was escalated weeks ago.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I meant that I would see if I can push it even further up the path.

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Well, todays useless instructions from OneCare support have made the problem worse. After editing the registry as instructed OneCare will not start manually either. Nice job.

Case ID is SRX1052279987

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Here is the instructions I received

1. Click Start, Run, type in "regedit" (without quotation marks)

2.  Open Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and look for "WINSS"

3.  Look for DependOnService, double click it and add the line "TermServices" below the other 2 services.

When I added the line as instructed the other two services disappeared and I dont remember what they were. Can you tell me what they are?

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:11 PM

Here is the instructions I received

1. Click Start, Run, type in "regedit" (without quotation marks)

2.  Open Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and look for "WINSS"

3.  Look for DependOnService, double click it and add the line "TermServices" below the other 2 services.

When I added the line as instructed the other two services disappeared and I dont remember what they were. Can you tell me what they are?

I'm looking at a Vista registry now - rpcss winmgmt are shown.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:06 PM
  • I tried adding what you listed but it still won't start. This is an XP machine having the trouble.

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:15 PM
  • I just checked and XP machine and the registry key is the same.

-steve

Saturday, January 12, 2008 3:48 AM
  • It's been over two days since I have heard anything from support. If you could light a fire under someone it would be much appreciated.

Case ID is SRX1052279987

I get the OneCare is "not working or has been stopped" message at startup and if I try to open it manually I get a blank main window with the same "not working or been stopped" message. XP Security Center says everything is on, but with OneCare as screwed up as it is can I assume my computer is still protected?

Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:56 PM
  • I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the case number.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:24 PM
  • I received a reply from the support liaison group and they advised me that the last communication was the email from support to you regarding the registry change you tried for Winss. In that email they also suggested you remove or disable BigFix and Spybot Search and Destroy. I don't believe either would be an issue unless you are using the TeaTimer protection of Spybot. They don't show a response from you to that last email of Thursday. Did you reply with the status?

I did request that they escalate this further, as you have been working with support for over a month on this issue.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:40 PM
  • I have the reply I sent in my Live Mail Sent file. It was sent 1/11 at 9:00am. Should I send it again?

This isn't the first time this has happened and I have read of it happening to others. I suspect that their email servers are probably under a strain.

I don't believe BigFix was a problem either because I never ran it and it is not active at all. I don't use TeaTimer with Spybot nor did I use AdWatch with AdAware but they told me to remove both of them as well.

Thanks for asking them to escalate.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:46 PM
  • I my computer being protected by OneCare while it is in this state?

Monday, January 14, 2008 12:18 AM
  • Your PC is protected when you start OneCare manually, which you've said that you have been doing when it fails to start on its own. Since I don't know what part of OneCare is starting, I can't tell your what state your protection is in until you manually start the services.

Anyway, I want to apologize for the length of time this has been ongoing. (And the number of times I asked you for a case ID - as I re-read the thread this evening I see you've given it to me a few times and I've also contacted support management at least twice on it!) Hold off on resending that email to support. Perhaps the tech you are corresponding with has simply not updated the case yet.

However, I received a reply from the OneCare team regarding your case and they are interested in working with you to see if they can identify the cause of the problem - and, of course, hopefully resolve it.

If you are willing to work with them, they may be able to set up a session where they connect to your PC directly. If you are interested, please send me an email with your availability and contact information and I will forward that to the OneCare team in Redmond. I can be reached at sboots@mvps.org. Be sure to put OneCare in the subject line and reference this thread in the message body.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:07 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in responding. A friend that is running OneCare was moved to 2.0 on Monday and is having problems with all three machines that were updated. One of them has the same "failure to start OneCare on bootup with no error messages" that I have.

I finally received a reply form support and now they are going in circles instructing me to do things that they have already told me to try. The last instruction definitely made things worse, as afterward OneCare would not start even manually. After removing "TermServices" from the registry location on my own I can at least start OneCare manually again.

I am wary of a remote session. My guess is that they will retry all the stuff that I have done over the last month and a half and then hammer it with a reinstall. My confidence in their abilities is extremely low at this point. The only way I see the problems being resolved is through a rewrite of OneCare's code issued as a hotfix.

I will give it a shot though, and will send you a time and phone number that they can call me.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Just to be clear, the remote session would not be with support, but with a OneCare Program Manager. I'll look for your email. Thanks!

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Steve

I have an Identical problem with winss not starting automaticly. My case number is 1054768768 and My email addy is jam_mcf9@msn.com  . Other than that 2.0 seems to be working, except it seems to hog resources for about 15 minutes when I dial in.

Grandad

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this and they'll be able to report how to fix it soon.

-steve

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:09 AM
  •  

Geez just replied but the page crashed.. Let's try a quicky then...  ADAWARE 2007 is a problem, if you uninstall it leaves a service running in the background.  You must stop and disable it from start up then edit the registry to permanently remove it.. I think it's called AdWatch or something, normally very top of services list..

Also remove Onecare from being home Hub and do not use central back up..

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:43 PM
  • I received the update to .22 and it does not resolve the startup issue. OneCare still fails to start intermittently and must be started manually. On the upside the update to .22 didn't cause even more problems for me (yet) like it has for so many others. I sent the requested support log to Anand, who claims to be the Program Manager with OneCare team and he never bothered to contact me. Nice followup.

Anyone that reads this should contact Cnet.com and ask them to report further on this if you want anything to be done. Microsoft has demonstrated without a doubt that it doesn't care unless this receives publicity. They can't even be bothered to make official statements to us peasants who pay for the products.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 3:24 PM

I received the update to .22 and it does not resolve the startup issue. OneCare still fails to start intermittently and must be started manually. On the upside the update to .22 didn't cause even more problems for me (yet) like it has for so many others. I sent the requested support log to Anand, who claims to be the Program Manager with OneCare team and he never bothered to contact me. Nice followup.

Ray, I've alerted Anand to the fact that your problem still exists.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 10:13 PM