QUESTION: WINDOWS XP Home Edition (" ERROR CODE 0X80040509 ") RRS feed

• Question

• Let me first explain how I got here. I'm no expert but, somehow I repaired my own laptop screen that rip completely from my laptop. It is a HP COMPAQ PRESARIO V2000 which was came integrated with WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION.

When I turned it back on I could not start WINDOWS XP and received this error message \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. After many attempts and not being able to understand all the Codes, Programs &, HTML's I purchased a UPGRADED WINDOWS XP OS Disk, which I don't think was an upgraded one but is official (I checked).

I figured since I already have a backup disk from about a year ago done with ONE CARE that I just reinstall WINDOWS XP and reinstall the system back to the way it was before, using the backup disk. Well, it wipe out all Microsoft and info in the laptop and installed a fresh copy of WINDOWS XP to the system, then nothing worked once WINDOWS XP was working. So I purchased a DRIVER INSTALLER & UTILITIES MANAGER. Then, Windows worked and I was able to connect to the internet. I tried to install the back up and it wouldn't load, it said I need ONE CARE to load the info. I thought I was registered with ONE CARE but I'm not. So I had to Install a temp. ONE CARE program and it work to a degree, some info. was lost but a majority was downloaded. Some info. doesn't work because WINDOWS XP wiped out all my WINDOWS OFFICE programs and the disk didn't come loaded with it. I'll buy WINDOWS OFFICE later to fix that.

Now that is what lead up to my current issue, which I'll explain.

I did every update I needed and all that went great. Then a new update came which is WINDOW SERVICE PACK 3 (SP3) and I downloaded it and installed it. It restarted my computer and then tried to log-in but it gave me the following: Please use the correct installation CD to reinstall Windows. Error Code:0X80040509. I used my WINDOWS XP OS Disk that I used to install XP to repair it and I was able to log-in. I didn't lose any info but, all the updates were wiped out. So I did them again and it happen again.

What do I have to do to repair or fix the WINDOWS XP OS, Error Code 0X80040509 and what does it mean?

Sorry for the long explaination, and Thank You for any help you can supply or ideas.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:18 PM

Answers

•  If the Product Key you have is different then the one listed in the above Diagnostic Report, then you will need to reinstall using the correct product key.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, October 25, 2010 10:35 PM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:26 PM
  • You'll need to contact HP Support and order their Windows XP Home Edition Recovery disc designed for use with your HP laptop computer.  Please see: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Looking for Recovery Discs?

Unfortunately, what you now have installed is a non-genuine copy of Windows XP Professional (Volume License) which will not accept a Windows XP Home Edition OEM product key.

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:24 AM

All replies

• Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23373
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: {48F61856-E81C-437B-8372-E7BFD9C787EF}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Hello, RMacBeth

They key you are using is a volume license key for Windows XP Professional that is not intended to be sold.

I assume the key listed that ends in 2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY is the one you purchased. If this is the case, I would recommend getting a refund ASAP and purchasing from an authorized vendor.

You can try using the product key from the Cirtificate of Authenticity located on the machine somewhere. On laptops it should be on the bottom of the computer and on desktops, it is usually near one of the corners on the case. Note that, this may not work if you reinstalled Windows using the disc that you purchased.

David
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Microsoft validated it. And that is not the right product key it is different from the product key I have, and the disk is a legitimate disk. How can this happen?
    Friday, October 15, 2010 6:43 PM
  •  If the Product Key you have is different then the one listed in the above Diagnostic Report, then you will need to reinstall using the correct product key.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:26 PM
  • You'll need to contact HP Support and order their Windows XP Home Edition Recovery disc designed for use with your HP laptop computer.  Please see: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Looking for Recovery Discs?

Unfortunately, what you now have installed is a non-genuine copy of Windows XP Professional (Volume License) which will not accept a Windows XP Home Edition OEM product key.

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:24 AM