Using a Web CP with Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, Quick question here, and im new to the Home Server league so bear with me.

I'm looking to setup a web control panel, in order to automate and make the process of setting up a website through the server much easier. Would this come prepared with software necessary to do this, or would i need to purchase plesk, or some other web hosting Control Panel in order to get what I want done, etc.

Thanks,

Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:32 PM

Answers

• You will probably find it difficult to get a web control panel set up on your server. Windows Home Server already has a web site built in, the Remote Access web site, and you would need to work carefully to avoid damaging that functionality while installing a control panel. In addition, Windows Home Server is not licensed for hosting/serving arbitrary web sites, i.e. it's not designed to be Windows Server "lite", so you would probably be violating the EULA as well.

I highly recommend you download Vail, read all the documentation carefully so you will have a better picture of what Microsoft intends it to be, and especially read over the list of known issues (which is rather long for this build). Give it a try and see if it's what you want at home.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:42 PM

All replies

• You will probably find it difficult to get a web control panel set up on your server. Windows Home Server already has a web site built in, the Remote Access web site, and you would need to work carefully to avoid damaging that functionality while installing a control panel. In addition, Windows Home Server is not licensed for hosting/serving arbitrary web sites, i.e. it's not designed to be Windows Server "lite", so you would probably be violating the EULA as well.

I highly recommend you download Vail, read all the documentation carefully so you will have a better picture of what Microsoft intends it to be, and especially read over the list of known issues (which is rather long for this build). Give it a try and see if it's what you want at home.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:42 PM
  • alright, many thanks!
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:30 PM