none
What is the difference in Save and Update in ADODC ??? RRS feed

• Question

• I am learning the VB 98  this semester.. Recently i studied ADODC control in vb, I am not able to figure out what is the difference between save and update in ADODC.... We can do anything that save does using update and same thing the other way round.....

So what is the difference between them ???
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 3:53 AM

All replies

• If you move from the record you are adding or editing before calling the Update method, ADO will automatically call Update to save the changes.
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:25 AM
  • @Bipin, I know that.. But my question is different..... Get me one thing in ADODC, that you can do only using save or update but not using the other....
    You wont find any, and that is the question, what is the difference between them ???
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 9:37 AM
  • Hi Varun

The Vb relies on the recodset that it fetch from the database and updates commands updates that recodset and the save command finally save them to database. Actually its all about performance you would you save since it wont require and recodset update more for a preexisting record it is always advisable to use update.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 12:52 PM
  • Bipin, what you are saying works perfectly in the ADODB, but i m talking about ADODC, try it out.. in adodc, update and close the application, dont save the update... then look at the database.. it gets save....
    Same way, i adodc, make some changes in a record and instead of update, call the save cmd... now look at the db and the changes hv been made.... Both the functions are working exactly same in ADODC...
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:40 PM
  • Update - Update to Database the Movified data in the recordset.
    Save - Will allow you to save the recordset in a FILE (yes text file)

Monday, September 17, 2007 2:57 PM
  •  Harshil_Patel_5326c0 wrote:
    Update - Update to Database the Movified data in the recordset.
    Save - Will allow you to save the recordset in a FILE (yes text file)

Well if you put it this way, i will have to check... but can you tell me how to associate a text file to a ADODC ??
    Monday, September 17, 2007 11:07 PM