Lost MB on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• My Mother Board went bad (Gigabyte 775) after 9 months and I want to move to another MB (AMD). I still have the original Boot HD but can't boot from that even in Safe Mode (BSD). What can I try to keep from purchasing another copy of WHS?
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:52 PM

Answers

• Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Connect everything (all your storage pool drives, not just your system drive) up, making sure your old system drive is the first drive the BIOS will see/present to an operating system, and boot the installation disk. Supply drivers at the hardware detection screen if neede, then choose "Server Recovery" or "Server Reinstallation" when asked what kind of installaiton you want to do. Don't choose "New Installation", as that will format all your disks!

If you needed to supply drivers for your system drive, put them on a floppy disk. Immediately after the first reboot, into text mode setup, you'll see a prompt at the bottom of the screen to "Press F6" to add storage drivers. Tap F6 a few times, then supply the drivers you have on your floppy disk. After that reinstallation should be pretty much automatic.

Because you've doubtless already activated using your product key, you'll have to go through OS activation again on the phone. While your software is, per the license agreement, tied to the original hardware, Microsoft has been reasonably generous and understanding about the need to reinstall on something else. Be patient and polite, and you shouldn't have much trouble.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:27 PM

All replies

• Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Connect everything (all your storage pool drives, not just your system drive) up, making sure your old system drive is the first drive the BIOS will see/present to an operating system, and boot the installation disk. Supply drivers at the hardware detection screen if neede, then choose "Server Recovery" or "Server Reinstallation" when asked what kind of installaiton you want to do. Don't choose "New Installation", as that will format all your disks!

If you needed to supply drivers for your system drive, put them on a floppy disk. Immediately after the first reboot, into text mode setup, you'll see a prompt at the bottom of the screen to "Press F6" to add storage drivers. Tap F6 a few times, then supply the drivers you have on your floppy disk. After that reinstallation should be pretty much automatic.

Because you've doubtless already activated using your product key, you'll have to go through OS activation again on the phone. While your software is, per the license agreement, tied to the original hardware, Microsoft has been reasonably generous and understanding about the need to reinstall on something else. Be patient and polite, and you shouldn't have much trouble.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:27 PM