none
What is the forum to use for Windows Server 2008 Printer Management?

Question

• Here is my question- Can someone please suggest which forum to use?

We have a Windows Server 2008R2 Domain Controller that we need to use as a print server. The user account is not a domain admin, so cannot log in locally. We are using Print Management with GPO's to deploy printers. The user manages printers from the MMC. When he goes to add a new network printer, he can walk though the wizard, then at the end, the system copies the driver, and as soon as the progress bar finishes, he gets an error that the driver could not be installed- Access is denied. He is a member of Print Operators, and I have used secpol.msc to allow all users to install printer drivers on the server. I also added him to a group that adds the ability to manage Printers, documents, and the server. I opened the MMC as an administrator and right-clicked the print server in Printer Management, then made sure I had added the correct permissions there. I can't think of any other places I can go to add these permissions. I cannot make him a local admin because it is a domain controller. So I am trying to figure out what the source of the error is- Previously when he did not have the rights, I would get an error before the driver attempted installation- now it is getting through and failing at the end. I've set permissions at the domain level, the group level, the local policy level, and I think it should work, but it is not. I can install the same printer driver as a domain admin that is failing as for the user, so it's not a bad driver type of issue- it has to be a permissions issue.

Where do I post this question?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Friday, October 09, 2015 4:25 PM

Answers

All replies