OCS 2007 address book RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I've been tasked with the deployment of ocs 2007 and having a few issues with the address book synchronizing.

After I perfomed the first manual sync of the address book using 'abserver' -syncnow, the replication was successfull. I could log in to OCS and search the adddress book for various contacts and they would appear. However, I have tried to create multiple AD since then and enabled them for ocs but when I manaully replicate the above exe file and log out of ocs client and back in, I cannot for the life of me find the new users. The only way I can view them is either by the FQDN or by deleting the local GalContacts.db file.

If I try to get to https://servername/abs/int/handler, it prompts for a username and password but as soon as I log in, it informs me I am not authourized to view this page.

Does anyone have any idea??

Kind Regards,

Mark

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 2:20 PM

All replies

• If you are making changes in Active Directory then run the "abserver -RegenUR" first, wait for the process to show as completed (via the Application log) and then execute the -SyncNow command.

Check out this article for additional info on the process: https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=17

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:35 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

I have tried running "abserver -RegenUR" after creating any new user accounts and enabling for OCS. I also then run -syncnow switch but I still have this issue - If I login to the client and search for my new ocs user, it doesn't appear, even after signing out of ocs client and back in. However, If I delete the GalContacts.DB from the user profile and re-open OCS, the new user appears. Its almost like its not receiveing the updated address book from the server. Any ideas?

kind Regards,

Mark

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:32 AM
  • That is the same behavior I have seen.  I remember reading somewhere that the client is supposed to update the local galcontact.db file at each launch and/or sign-in, but that is not what I've seen in my testing.  I would occansionally see changes on the client after restarting OC, but not consistently.

Aside from that, someone in PSS said that an online client is supposed to update the local address book on an arbitrary 24 hour schedule, which is not customizable.  The only way I could find to successfully force updates on the client (with 100% success) when making rapid changes in AD for testing purposes was to delete the galcontacts.db file as you have done.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:14 PM
  •  

I know, this is sooo frustrating. I've even rebuilt my test domain but still no luck.

the other thing I've noticed is using the web browser to access the address book which could be having an impact. I get prompted for authentication but after I click 'ok' at the prompt, it says "you are not authourized to view this page."

I have enabled 'directory browsing on the Abs, Int' virtual directorties, as per online forums.

Does anyone have any ideas???

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:10 PM
  • Other than testing, is there a specific reason you need clients to see AD changes so soon and can't just wait for the normal interval?

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:43 PM
  • I would love to be able to leave for the normal interval of 1:30AM, only it doesn't update my address book?

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Correct, that default 1:30AM time only applies to the AB regenUR and syncNow processes, it doesn't do anything in the way of how the client downloads the changes and updates it's local galcontacts.db file.

I guess one 'hack' would be to use a logon script command to delete that file on local workstations, and you could instruct users to log-off on and back on to their workstations to 'see changes' if it was really that important.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Apologies in advance but maybe I'm getting a little confused with this. Can you explain to me how the address book works then??

My assumption was, you create and enable a new user in Active Directory, once its fully replicated at 1:30AM, the user should be searchable within the ocs client? but how does it find the client if the address book isn't updating?

Can you advise me how this address book works please?

Kind regards,

Mark

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:42 PM
  • Did you read my blog which I posted in my first reply?  Basically the ABService reads in data from Active Directory and stores it in the OCS SQL database.  Then it updates the Address Book Server's files (shown in Step 2 of my blog) from info in SQL.  The Office Communicator client then reads in those files on the server's shared directory and builds it's own local file: the galcontacts.db.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:58 PM
  • I found this article by searching the forum, and it looks pretty old. Hopefully some of you have email notifications on to know that I responded.

I have just built up a new OCS 2007 R2 installation, and I am having this exact issue. I am not exactly sure we were having this issue with the RTM version of OCS. My client computer did not update its local galcontacts.db file last night. I have enabled some more users for OCS this afternoon and will check again tomorrow. It appears, though, the ONLY way to update the abs files is to delete the galcontacts.db file. Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:43 PM