none
Diagnostic Test - Login Failed and runas user RRS feed

• Question

• Have a 3-noded cluster (2 nodes on a private infiniband network).  The private net is all static ip's.

From head node, I can ping the other 2 ok.

But try to run the Diagnostic "MPI Ping-Pong"  and get an error "Logon failed with the provided credential."  What does this mean?  Is it that the 2 slave nodes cannot authenticate to the domain controllers?

Another oddity.  If I login to the head node as another domain user (user #2),  and run the same diagnostic test, they fail with the same message, and multiple tries will lock out user #1's domain account.  The job details show a "Runas user = " user#1.  Why?  I don't see any option in the Cluster manager to set a "runas" user.  I don't even see any mention of "runas" in the documentation.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:16 PM

Answers

• If memory serves me right.....

The issue was I was logged in as a different user than who performed the initial install (and the original user's account password since changed, hence the HPC cached credentials no longer matched AD).

So if the original installer's user password has changed, you need to change the cached data in "Provide Installation Credentials".

Goto  Cluster Manager-->To-Do List-->Provide Installation Credentials

So now I know that all the diagnostic tests are run under the "Installation Credentials" account, and not the currently logged in user account.

Hope this helps.  I'm finding some things in HPC are over-documented, but some are very under-documented (such as this one).

Monday, December 27, 2010 3:38 PM

All replies

• Try running the test using the 'Run tests as different user' option (R2).

By default the tests run under the HPC Cluster Admin account, may be worth recaching the password for that

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:47 PM
  • Ran    cluscfg  setcreds /user: %USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%

Asked for password, entered it.  But test still gives "Logon failed with the provided credential"

Going to try changing the network config to put the other 2 nodes on the public net.

Also, haven't yet planned upgrade to R2.   Surely a simple MPI test should work.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:36 PM
  • Any luck with this?! I've got the same error!

"MPI PING-POING Quick Test" Failure .. Logon failed with the provided credential.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 3:09 PM
  • If memory serves me right.....

The issue was I was logged in as a different user than who performed the initial install (and the original user's account password since changed, hence the HPC cached credentials no longer matched AD).

So if the original installer's user password has changed, you need to change the cached data in "Provide Installation Credentials".

Goto  Cluster Manager-->To-Do List-->Provide Installation Credentials

So now I know that all the diagnostic tests are run under the "Installation Credentials" account, and not the currently logged in user account.

Hope this helps.  I'm finding some things in HPC are over-documented, but some are very under-documented (such as this one).

Monday, December 27, 2010 3:38 PM