Disable LM Remote Desktop RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all,

I was wondering if it's possible to disable the remote desktop function of Live Mesh? I love the folder sharing and syncing part, but am worried that someone will bust my Windows Live ID and connect onto my PC's.

I've looked in the registry but can't see anything relating to it.

I disable Windows RDP via GPO and there is no ports open in the firewall for RDP, however Mesh still finds it's way through.

Thanks 
    Richard Green, MCP
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

There is no way within the Live Mesh software to disable the Live Mesh Remote Desktop functionality.  It runs as a service (so that, e.g., you can remote connect to a computer without having to be logged in to that remote computer).  The only way to shut it down is to go into the Windows Services, find Live Mesh Remote Desktop, stop the service, and set it to Manual start (it starts Automatically by default).

Please note, however, that as long as you have passwords on your Windows user accounts, whenever you attempt to establish a remote connection using Live Mesh, you will be prompted for the login credentials for the remote machine, whether you left it logged on or not.  Hence, again so long as you have passwords on your machines, even if someone gained access to one of your devices and/or your Windows Live ID, he/she could not gain access to your other devices without knowing the various passwords for each machine.

I hope that helps to allay some of your fears.

Ben.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Ben,

Many thanks for the reponse.
    I should have thought of looking in the services, as I would've spotted that without having to raise this topic, but thank you. I must have been having a bad day!

Thanks
    Richard
    Richard Green, MCP
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:52 AM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

Hi Richard,

There is no way within the Live Mesh software to disable the Live Mesh Remote Desktop functionality.  It runs as a service (so that, e.g., you can remote connect to a computer without having to be logged in to that remote computer).  The only way to shut it down is to go into the Windows Services, find Live Mesh Remote Desktop, stop the service, and set it to Manual start (it starts Automatically by default).

Please note, however, that as long as you have passwords on your Windows user accounts, whenever you attempt to establish a remote connection using Live Mesh, you will be prompted for the login credentials for the remote machine, whether you left it logged on or not.  Hence, again so long as you have passwords on your machines, even if someone gained access to one of your devices and/or your Windows Live ID, he/she could not gain access to your other devices without knowing the various passwords for each machine.

I hope that helps to allay some of your fears.

Ben.

Excellent. I was looking for a way to do that as corpnet forbids me from using remote desktop to my work machine and I was worried someone would be able to if they cracked my live password!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:50 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Disabling the service doesn't seem to prevent remote desktop from working.  (Unfortunately, I need it to be disabled for security reasons.)  I've disabled the service and uninstalled the two display adapter drivers and then rebooted my machine, and LM still allows remote desktop connections to the computer (albeit without the extensions).  Is there any way to prevent connections outright, rather than simply disabling the remote desktop extensions?
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Hi aatreya,

I've been in conversation with some of our devs, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find a workable solution for you (one that would block Live Mesh Remote Desktop connections, but allow sync and standard internet traffic).  We know that a lot of people would like the ability to control if and when various Live Mesh features were on or off - so I've added your vote for control over the Live Mesh Remote Desktop service to our internal list of customer suggestions (the more votes a suggestion has, the more visible it is to our developers).

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. :(

Ben.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Ben,

No problem.  Thanks for looking into it.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  The only way to shut it down is to go into the Windows Services, find Live Mesh Remote Desktop, stop the service, and set it to Manual start (it starts Automatically by default).

where doI find Windows Services?

Friday, October 24, 2008 2:24 AM
  • arbogasts said:

The only way to shut it down is to go into the Windows Services, find Live Mesh Remote Desktop, stop the service, and set it to Manual start (it starts Automatically by default).

where doI find Windows Services?

Assuming XP, click  Start  | Run  and type   services.msc  and press Enter.  There's a longer way to get there - probably a dozen - but that's the one I remember.

Oh, yeah ... if you click Start, then right-click on My Computer, and then click on Manage, you'll get the Computer Management control and there's a Services and Applications node on there that can get you to it as well.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 3:22 PM
  • It's been October since this was last posted on.  Is there a way to disable remote desktop access yet?  Here's my problem with it.  I have files on my PC I would prefer not be shared over the internet if my password is ever stolen/cracked.  With mesh though, someone would be able to just take the files straight off my computer.  I would hope by now there's a fix for this.

Second problem.  I'd post in another forum, but it was hard enough to find this one.  If, say, someone got into my account and deleted everything from my live mesh folder, and then Mesh reflected this change by syncing all my folders on my other computers, is there a copy somewhere of all that would have been deleted?  For example, I'm sure you know of dropbox, it's one of your competitors.  It saves the previous versions of a file so that it may be recovered at some point.  Is there any feature like this in Live Mesh?

Since I sadly haven't heard much about LM, including on Lifehacker and Techcrunch, you guys need to do some promoting to show why you're better than your competitors.

Please respond, I know I'm posting in an old forum.

Also, for all my complaints, I really am impressed with LM.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:10 PM
  • bsee08 said:

It's been October since this was last posted on.  Is there a way to disable remote desktop access yet?  Here's my problem with it.  I have files on my PC I would prefer not be shared over the internet if my password is ever stolen/cracked.  With mesh though, someone would be able to just take the files straight off my computer.  I would hope by now there's a fix for this.

Second problem.  I'd post in another forum, but it was hard enough to find this one.  If, say, someone got into my account and deleted everything from my live mesh folder, and then Mesh reflected this change by syncing all my folders on my other computers, is there a copy somewhere of all that would have been deleted?  For example, I'm sure you know of dropbox, it's one of your competitors.  It saves the previous versions of a file so that it may be recovered at some point.  Is there any feature like this in Live Mesh?

Since I sadly haven't heard much about LM, including on Lifehacker and Techcrunch, you guys need to do some promoting to show why you're better than your competitors.

Please respond, I know I'm posting in an old forum.

Also, for all my complaints, I really am impressed with LM.

Hi,

I'm afraid that the ability to disable Live Mesh Remote Desktop through the UI has not yet been implemented.  We know there a some customers who would like to see this ability enabled, and we are working to implement as many customer requests as we can with each new release.  While there are simply too many requests for us to implement them all in a timely fashion, rest assured that we have not forgotten about this one.  :)

As for you second concern, if someone was able to access your mesh and deleted all your files those deletions would propagate to your other devices.  Though, while we do not have a centralized "backup" (one request we've seen a couple of times is for a Recycle Bin in "the cloud"), any time files are deleted on another device, the deleted files are moved to the Recycle Bin on all other devices in the mesh - so you would be able to recover your files there.  Having said that, however, it is always a good idea - especially since Live Mesh is a beta product - to have an independent (i.e., non-Live Mesh) backup of all the data in your mesh.

Finally, with regards to promoting Live Mesh: we are certainly working to get the word out as much as possible!  We did, for example, recently win a Crunchie!

Thanks for your feedback, and for helping us test Live Mesh,

Ben.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

We know that a lot of people would like the ability to control if and when various Live Mesh features were on or off - so I've added your vote for control over the Live Mesh Remote Desktop service to our internal list of customer suggestions (the more votes a suggestion has, the more visible it is to our developers).

Please add my vote, too :)
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Ben [Live Mesh] said:

I'm afraid that the ability to disable Live Mesh Remote Desktop through the UI has not yet been implemented. 

For the time being, is there a non-UI workaround? From the conversation in this thread I understand that disabling the Live Mesh Remote Desktop Service is not enough to block the remote desktop functionality.
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:25 PM
  • add my vote too. I had to remove mesh from my laptop b/c the remote desktop feature would take up 99% of my CPU uage when i everytie i turned my computer on.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:27 PM
  • This gets a vote from me also; is there any news on when this might possibly become available? In a corporate environment it becomes a bit tricky to workaround - I just want a way to disable the Remote Desktop feature....
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:55 PM
  • BabaAndThePigman said:

This gets a vote from me also; is there any news on when this might possibly become available? In a corporate environment it becomes a bit tricky to workaround - I just want a way to disable the Remote Desktop feature....

You may want to go to this post and see number 9 on the list to get your vote on Connect.
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/7ec4f88b-9caa-4b25-aa8d-f7ccc3db63c8

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Ah, I missed that one; thanks for the pointer Steven.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:51 AM
  • BabaAndThePigman said:

Ah, I missed that one; thanks for the pointer Steven.

No problems. :-) It is a common request and worth voting on.

-steve
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:20 PM
  • I would love to see the ability to disable remote desktop...
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:23 AM
  • I would love to see the ability to disable remote desktop...

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Monday, April 27, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Hello!

I have a big problem. I am working with 2 monitors and i am using UltraMon.

When i install LiveMesh (and i think it has sth todo with the Remote Desktop) UltraMon is not working anymore ...

So i hope there will be a way to disable this feature in the future (i also voted for it ;))

Best regards!
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:04 PM
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951861

If you want to enable access to the Live Mesh Web experience but disallow Live Mesh clients (Live Remote and Live Folders), you can block HTTP and HTTPS traffic to the following Live Mesh Web sites:
    • Storage.mesh.com
    • Accounts.mesh.com
    • Ag.mesh.com
    Now as stated this blocks both Live Remote and Live Folders if you block all three URLs, but you could try different combinations of blocking one or two of them and see if that does the trick.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:35 AM