none
Help Validating XP Home after motherboard change RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had to replace the motherboard in my wifes HP pavillion a350n with XP home, unfortunately I had to use an aftermarket motherboard and I know there is going to be a conflict accessing the hdd due to the bios tattoo. My question is, can I use my COA that came with the computer (we bought it brand new) to reinstall XP home on a new hdd, or am I going to have to go out and purchase a brand new XP home operating system with new coa. I just want to know if I would be violating any microsoft rules regarding use of license etc. I just cant see having to buy another complete version of XP when we already paid for it once with the new computer, any help woud be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:44 AM

Answers

• Hello Jason232,

You will probably have trouble trying to use the Recovery CDs because as you mentioned they will be looking for the HP bios bits.

You can use a genuine Microsoft hologrammed systembuilder/small manufacturer OEM CD to install XP Home.  Use the Product Key on the HP's CoA, NOT the Product Key that came with the CD.  Retail CDs will NOT accept the OEM PK on the HP CoA.

After installation, skip automatic online activation and instead use Telephonic Activation.  If the automated telephone system rejects your attempt, choose the option to speak with a live activation rep.  Tell them you had to replace the defective motherboard and had to use an aftermarket because actual replacement HP motherboards were not available or cost four times more than they should, so in order to install your licensed XP Home you had to use a genuine Microsoft hologrammed systembuilder/small manufacturer OEM CD.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 2:12 PM