WHS Backup issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am running WHS on a self built Mini ITX server in a Chenbro ES340 4 Hot-Swap HDDs Server Chassis (only 2 x 1 TB HD’s are in use). I have 6 clients and all running Vista Ultimate as OS.

Since a number of weeks the Backup Service isn’t running anymore. I have followed the various recommended steps to fix this issue, but all without result (run software update --> reboot server--> tried to remove the HD --> Backup clean up and repair).

What happens:
    The automatic backup isn't working anymore. If I launch a manual backup on any of the clients, it is losing the connection after appr. 4%. The error message is “The Backup failed because of a problem with the Windows Home Server software. The event log on the server contains more details.”

The failure details of the manual backup are described as: ”An unexpected error occurred on the server when calling an API. IEnumWbenClassObject::Next -2147221164”

I have Power Pack 2 installed. I noticed on the recource tab that my WHS license is an evaluation copy. This is odd as I have purchased a full license in a Microsoft Store when I was a Microsoft employee.  
    Friday, August 28, 2009 11:20 PM

All replies

• What are the current add-ins that you currently have installed? How much free space do u have on each hard drive?
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:52 AM
  • Have you consulted the event logs on your server for more details? If not, you should do so.

Regarding the "evaluation copy", is it possible that you had, and installed, the evaluation version of the software? If so, you will need to follow the steps outlined in this FAQ ; there is no way other than that process to upgrade form an evaluation version to the full version of the software.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:25 AM
  • I have installed the add-in TV Manager and AutExit. My free HD space is 1.1 TB out of 1.82 TB total disk capacity over 2 disks.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:59 AM
  • Ken,

I haven't installed an evaluation copy. I am usng WHS for more than 1 year now. Installed it out of the box and it worked fine for 1 year. Since I am having backup troubles, I look under resources for the verson information. Which PowerPack version was installed etc. I then noticed that PowerPack2 was installed, but also catched "Evaluation Copy Expires Aug 29th 2009" I also noticed that the expiration date of the evaluation copy is changing from time tot time. Before it was an earlier date then Aug. 29th. If I click on the "active windows" it returns "Windows is already activated".

Here are the version that I have installed:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

I've runned the connector trouble shooter which say's Server Version: 6.0.2030.0 (console 6.0.2030.2 see above) and Client Version: 6.0.2030.2. It say's Warning: versions are different but still RTM builds.

I haven't installed an add-in that logging events. How can I consult theevents log. Do I first need to install this add in?
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:09 AM
  • I finally managed to consult the event log on the server...

The 1st one say's:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 267
    Date:  29-8-2009
    Time:  11:37:14
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(500)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and the 2nd one:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 271
    Date:  29-8-2009
    Time:  11:37:14
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x80040154 from IEnumWbemClassObject::Next: Class not registered

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Hi Los,

Have you managed to resolve this yet? I am having a very similar problem and am keen to find out how to fix it.

Thanks

Greg
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 8:58 AM