My documents folder on the WHS ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After reading some informations about restoring previous versions of files in shared folders, I thought about moving my "my documents" folder into my private folder on WHS because only files on WHS can be restored in previous versions.

But I want also have all "my documents" on my laptop because, sometimes, I use it outside...

Why not an option to move "my  documents" on WHS and create a copy on the laptop, like a briefcase but better : when the laptop is connected to the server, the synchronization starts automaticaly... And, of course, my laptop can read/write on "my documents" on WHS when it's at home and on the briefcase when it's outside...

Advantages :

1°) My documents are on the server and also on the laptop.

2°) It's possible to restore previous versions of files in my documents (impossible if "my documents" are only on the laptop).

I don't know if I'm clear...

Regards,

Sunday, March 18, 2007 9:35 PM

All replies

• I understand what you are saying.... Good idea in theory for syncing.

But why?

Do you want to use "My Documents" on other computers in the house?

What is the difference between just backing it up on the server? Why do you then need to actual copies to work from?

If sharing is something that you want inside your residence, then why not simply have your My Documents folder set up on your laptop as a sharing directory? That is what I did before WHS came along.

:)

Dawg.
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 11:24 PM
  • I can think of a good reason to use this.  My wife occasionally borrows my laptop and saves files to it.  It would be great if she could have access to her documents and then sync her latest work back to her account on the desktop that she routinely uses.  This could easily be implemented by using folder redirection on the server.  ( I was actually hoping that this was what WHS would do.)
    Sunday, March 18, 2007 11:58 PM
  • Either that or have a mapped drive that connects at logon, where you store your documents. That way you can access them at home from any computer. The other option (for accessing outside of home) is to use some sort of synchronisation software, to copy across on every logon/logoff.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 2:32 AM
  •  Just create a network mapping to your shared folder on the server and change the location of the my documents to that location. (by hand or policy) Then go to offline folders and mark this folder for synchronisation. Voilla. This has nothing to do with features in the WHS.

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:35 AM
  • I think that some files, such as access databases and Outlook email .PST files will not be synchronized properly using offline folders.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 3:45 AM
  • I wonder if there will be setting like on my work network of "make this folder available offline."

I know that when my computer goes offline, I still have access to most of my documents, and they are updated when I connect back to the network. I use this for the short time when the network goes down, but have never used it on a laptop, so I don't really know if it works for long term. but just an idea

---edit---
    Ok, I just re-read two posts up, and this was already suggested, and I agree that it should work, except for databases and outlook .pst files. We've hosting the .pst files on a network drive at work with roaming profiles, and it works, sort of.  But offline folders doesn't seem to work for it.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:13 AM
  •  Terrestrial wrote:

Just create a network mapping to your shared folder on the server and change the location of the my documents to that location. (by hand or policy) Then go to offline folders and mark this folder for synchronisation. Voilla. This has nothing to do with features in the WHS.

Agreed.  Offline Folders should do exactly what you want to do.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 4:17 PM