corrupt database backup files RRS feed

• Question

• is it possible to access corrupt WHS backup database files? I have all of the files from the de folder, I can see the computer backup .dat files for the computer i am trying to get files from.

i get the 81% can not mount drive, and the 6% can not mount

also get the backup service not running

inconsistancy errors

corrupt database

all at different times when trying different things

i have re-installed

and installed (saving the "de" folder contents and replacing them )

I have tried EVERYTHING I could find trying to get some files from the backups

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:37 PM

All replies

• The only tools which can read and recover files from a Windows Home Server client backup database are the tools in Windows Home Server, I'm afraid. If the database itself is corrupt, sometimes using the database repair feature in the console will regain access to some backups, but what will be recovered, and even if anything will be recovered, depends on what database components are damaged and how they're damaged.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:49 PM
  • So I am pretty much screwed when it comes to getting any of my files back? Why did I pay so much for a system with such a HUGE flaw?????? As I can see from reading various posts there are a lot of people with this problem. The "tools" in WHS won't do anything but sit there for up to 18 hours, thats how long I let it run with 0 results.

Where do I get a refund???

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:46 AM
  • by the way, did I mention that I had 4 computers backed up with at least 6 backups on each that I could not access, mount, restore or anything?? Like everyone else, everything worked great until I needed to restore a computer, thats when I found the extent of the problem. I don't even know if it ever worked for it's intended purpose

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:49 AM
  • Krop, I understand your pain, really. But database corruption is not a common occurence (one of the things posters in this forum are self-selected for is "problems with Windows Home Server", so they're not a representative slice of users in general), and is likely to be due to external issues such as driver or hardware problems, user error, power fluctuations, etc., rather than anything in Windows Home Server. There's not a lot Microsoft can do about external issues, I'm afraid.

That said, the backup database is fragile. Damage to any component (file) has a high probability of corrupting multiple backups (which is a problem it has in common with traditional incremental backup strategies), and can affect multiple backups for multiple computers (which is unique to Windows Home Server). As a result, I recommend against using Windows Home Server client backup as a means of archiving a home computer's state for long periods of time. If you really need an archival copy of a PC at a point in time, putting a complete backup on external storage and taking it off-site is a good idea.

As for the client backup database on your server, in my opinion best practice is to try a restore every now and then, and possibly to consider using an add-in like Backup DataBase Backup (BDBB) to take a copy of the entire database for off-site storage.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:51 PM
  • i have tried to use whsdbdump, and it is a dos based program that will read the database directory, but when i tell it to dump the contents it gives me an index error. any ideas?? ever heard of it?

here is the link

http://blog.whssafebackup.com/

krop

Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Actually I have the same problem. I was getting 81% and other errors.  I think this problem is wide spread, but most people give up.

I had a backup that had very important data in it.

I followed all the instruction on http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/whsfaq/thread/785bc097-b7b0-4268-bd9f-cc802c5eb355

After about 5 days it had "fixed" the database. Yeah right!

But all my backups were "unrecoverable". I lost them all.

I am so over WHS V1.             DO NOT trust it with your data.

Does anyone know of any utilities that can extract files from the backup files - I copied them before I tried all the steps above. 

I'd rather get back some than loose all files.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:40 AM