Windows Home Server 2003, Getting Started RRS feed

• Question

• Sir: My lan works ok with each pc commx with the internet and the xps all see eachother via DHCP Linksys router.

So, I thought I would try Windows Home Server trial version and push the envelope.

Is there a good startup reference book, howto, etc around which makes suggestions on domain name, router configuration, etc?

From what I've read so far, it appears that a static address assignment is preferable but do I need a certified domain name for a trial run of WHServer?

I have installed server and client software on the LAN  PCs, but they don't "see' eachother and using the browser to advocate //http: AVIARY:55000 the name of the server is nihl. I also set up a domain name as raraaves.homeserver.com which also is unlocatable.

I changed router from DHCP automatic to static with my IP address and although I did get my IP's splash page, the address bar turned red without other feed back.

I also disconnected the modem to illiminate a dual NAT problem which may not exiist... so you see paranoia creeping in...

I woould truly appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:45 PM

Answers

• You should disable Remote Management facilities of your router - I assume this takes over the address.
    Depending from the routers capabilities and settings you will also have to forward the ports 80, 443 and 4125 to the IP address of your home server to get Remote access available (which is the only reason for registering a homeserver.com domain).
    Does your server have a working Internet connection (I assume so, since you registered a domain name)?
    Since you seem to use a static IP address, ensure, that the server has also proper subnet, default gateway and DNS server entries.
    Can you start the console from the server desktop?
    If so, can you try to apply all upgrades?
    Check also, if the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server helps to figure out, what is wrong.
    I wonder about your writing - http://yourservername:55000 would be the proper style of typing the address in the browser.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Hi Roy,
    certificate warnings you will should get, if you do not connect to the home page of your home server, but to something else (this is, how remote configuration of the router came into my mind).
    No need for fixed IP addresses on the clients, these should be found automatically by WHS. Usually it is also not a problem to leave WHS on DHCP - if all is configured properly. The router will reassign the same address to the same network adapter, unless it is disconnected from power or getting reset otherwise.
    Even in this case depending from the router configuration UPnP could take care of the changes.
    Port 443 is for https, Port 4125 for console access via Remote Access website.
    The guest account should be disabled by default, and it is recommended to leave it so. Remote access is anyway only possible by a user with safe password.
    Can you ping the server by it's name?
    What is the output of ipconfig /all?
    User account name and password should be identical on client and server, otherwise the account will be blocked for a certain time. Strange access issues can also happen, if the guest account on the server is enabled.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:20 AM

All replies

• You should disable Remote Management facilities of your router - I assume this takes over the address.
    Depending from the routers capabilities and settings you will also have to forward the ports 80, 443 and 4125 to the IP address of your home server to get Remote access available (which is the only reason for registering a homeserver.com domain).
    Does your server have a working Internet connection (I assume so, since you registered a domain name)?
    Since you seem to use a static IP address, ensure, that the server has also proper subnet, default gateway and DNS server entries.
    Can you start the console from the server desktop?
    If so, can you try to apply all upgrades?
    Check also, if the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server helps to figure out, what is wrong.
    I wonder about your writing - http://yourservername:55000 would be the proper style of typing the address in the browser.
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:10 PM
  • Salutations Olaf,

Thank you for your reply and helpful advice!

The LAN side of the gateway: When I first started, I think there was some confusion about Remote Management and Remote access, the latter needs to be enabled for the people who will access the services of the Home Server via user accounts established via the console for remote access to the Home Server. I have disabled the Remote Management of my Linksys Router so no one but I shall have access to the routers settings.

Port forwarding will be enabled when I can figure out how the entries in Port Range Forward are to be configured, i.e., which apps go with the port numbers 443 and 4125 (Web is 80 correct?)? Further, this will require me to disable the DHCP client function (at the PC, the Router or both?) and establish Static addresses on each of the PCs on my LAN; also to be determined. Right now the router is set to Automatic DHCP thru a range of 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.149 but I know it has a Static option. This is going to require some more research!

I read where it is advisable to establish the Home Server on a Static basis, but when I first wrote for help I left the wrong impression, the Home Server has been  addressed via the Automatic DHCP server function of the Router, it has been the first PC I turn on in the LAN and it is being assigned 192.168.1.102, a type of quasi/defacto Static treatment but with some success. I can access the Home Server via client PCs on the LAN by typing in the 192.168.1.102 address in the MSIE browser, MS_Explorer 8. This gives me access to the Home Servers directory tree,e.g., Pictures, Videos, etc. as well as a Home Server splash page (after the login). I could not get access through the Guest User (for unknown reasons) but was successful by establishing a User Account that required a password; And. then the Home Server stopped working until I choose a new password for that User!!??

I am not sure what is going on with the WAN side of the gateway/router:  As you surmised, I did register raraaves.homeserver.com via Windows Live with an address of 70.172.214.22 which I think is a temporary arrangement with the domain service GoDaddy.com and I am getting certificate warnings? out of time? mabe because I am using a trial version of Windows Home Server 2003?

I keep reading your  linked article. Thank you! 

Best regards from Quonochontaugh, RI (USA)
    Roy Bowman
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 5:38 AM
  • Hi Roy,
    certificate warnings you will should get, if you do not connect to the home page of your home server, but to something else (this is, how remote configuration of the router came into my mind).
    No need for fixed IP addresses on the clients, these should be found automatically by WHS. Usually it is also not a problem to leave WHS on DHCP - if all is configured properly. The router will reassign the same address to the same network adapter, unless it is disconnected from power or getting reset otherwise.
    Even in this case depending from the router configuration UPnP could take care of the changes.
    Port 443 is for https, Port 4125 for console access via Remote Access website.
    The guest account should be disabled by default, and it is recommended to leave it so. Remote access is anyway only possible by a user with safe password.
    Can you ping the server by it's name?
    What is the output of ipconfig /all?
    User account name and password should be identical on client and server, otherwise the account will be blocked for a certain time. Strange access issues can also happen, if the guest account on the server is enabled.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:20 AM